Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1997 Z71 electrical short "windshield wiper/turn signal" troubleshooting help

Old August 31st, 2016, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1997 Z71 electrical short "windshield wiper/turn signal" troubleshooting help

Alright guys and gals,

I've got a new one here that I do believe I need some help with troubleshooting or maybe someone was unlucky enough to go through before I was and already has the answer.

*I've already replaced the multi-function switch as well as the headlight switch itself with brand new ones and still have the same problems*
figured I'd throw that caveat out there to start it off.

So to break this down.
1. With or without power applied from the truck either running or just in accessory switch and the headlight switch turned off , the left turn signal causes the windshield wipers to start working.
2. Right turn signal works as it should
3. When turn signal is flashing it goes at twice the pace of normal "such indicative that a bulb is blown on the same circuit but both lights are working"
4. Hazard lights work as expected with power off
5. The windshield wipers only work with either normal or fast speeds, none of the delay settings work.
6. When I turn on the headlight switch itself the driver side headlight low beam dims and a small current is applied to the high beams showing a very faintly lit bulb for high beam, as well as the windshield wipers start working automatically as if you turned them to normal speed.
7. After having the truck running for about 2 minutes and walking around the truck to look for more visual indicators the windshield wipers will stop and the left turn signal will return to the proper flash speed for both front and rear driver side lights.

I'm not the original owner of this truck but I'd love to keep this for the foreseeable future such I'd appreciate the help given greatly.

If you have any questions that I can answer that you think I should've put in here to help with this please ask.

Sincerely,
The guy sitting in the truck frustrated trying to turn left while everyone looks and wonders "does this guy think it's raining?"
Attached Thumbnails 1997 Z71 electrical short "windshield wiper/turn signal" troubleshooting help-12472541_10154146214238109_8149354128553833930_n.jpg  
Old February 7th, 2017, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris29445
Alright guys and gals,

I've got a new one here that I do believe I need some help with troubleshooting or maybe someone was unlucky enough to go through before I was and already has the answer.

*I've already replaced the multi-function switch as well as the headlight switch itself with brand new ones and still have the same problems*
figured I'd throw that caveat out there to start it off.

So to break this down.
1. With or without power applied from the truck either running or just in accessory switch and the headlight switch turned off , the left turn signal causes the windshield wipers to start working.
2. Right turn signal works as it should
3. When turn signal is flashing it goes at twice the pace of normal "such indicative that a bulb is blown on the same circuit but both lights are working"
4. Hazard lights work as expected with power off
5. The windshield wipers only work with either normal or fast speeds, none of the delay settings work.
6. When I turn on the headlight switch itself the driver side headlight low beam dims and a small current is applied to the high beams showing a very faintly lit bulb for high beam, as well as the windshield wipers start working automatically as if you turned them to normal speed.
7. After having the truck running for about 2 minutes and walking around the truck to look for more visual indicators the windshield wipers will stop and the left turn signal will return to the proper flash speed for both front and rear driver side lights.

I'm not the original owner of this truck but I'd love to keep this for the foreseeable future such I'd appreciate the help given greatly.

If you have any questions that I can answer that you think I should've put in here to help with this please ask.

Sincerely,
The guy sitting in the truck frustrated trying to turn left while everyone looks and wonders "does this guy think it's raining?"

It was a bad ground on the front clip hidden behind the windshield wiper fluid resevoir.

Search this Thread