Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

4l60e Feels like brakes are applied when taking off from a stop

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2017, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e Feels like brakes are applied when taking off from a stop

Hi, I just purchased a 1993 Chevrolet Cheyenne c1500 with a 6.2 Diesel engine. The previous owner said he had some work done to the transmission because of an issue with it feeling like it was bumped from behind when fully coming to a stop. Although I have seen where it could have been a binding slip yoke, the previous owner had the transmission worked on and provided me a receipt where he supposedly paid $900 for transmission work performed. The receipt was dated October 2016.

My issue is different, what I'm experiencing is what can only be described as binding, or brakes sticking. When trying to start from a full stop, the engine is under load but, the truck won't move until I press the accelerator further down and then out of nowhere as if a rubber band snapped, the truck takes off. The transmission is not slipping but, it feels like it's clamped and then suddenly freed. I have also had this happen on an incline. When this happened on an incline, I let off the accelerator completely to check if it would roll backwards and it did not. I then immediately checked to see if the brakes were sticking by placing the truck into neutral and it rolled backwards easily. It does not happen all the time but, it is happening frequently.

Any idea what's happening?
Old February 28th, 2017, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

try to downshift manually and what happens? It is possible you are in fail safe mode.
Old March 5th, 2017, 3:17 AM
CF Beginner

Don't think it's in limp mode because it can be driven at hwy speeds. Limp mode would keep it limited to 35 mph. One interesting thing I have discovered, it does not have problems when it's raining and everything is wet outside. I'm starting to think I have an electrical issue and will be looking for a bad ground. I also will inspect the electrical connector where it plugs in at the transmission.

Last edited by beazleybub; March 5th, 2017 at 3:19 AM.
Old March 19th, 2017, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like rubber brake lines swollen shut.