Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Timing Chain Install second doubts

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2017, 3:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Timing Chain Install second doubts

As a novice - I Just installed a new timing chain on a 1998 Chevrolet C1500 Vortex 5.7. Seems to rum Ok but have a code P1345 Crankshaft Position / Camshaft Position.
I just put the new timing chain gears on the old key ways after checking they were identical to the old gears, but skipped the step of checking alignment of markings at 6:00 / 12:00
but I am only 99 % sure that nothing moved. To avoid dismantling everything to check .. is it valid to rotate the crankshaft to align the harmon balancer to its timing alignment mark looking down from the top
and then checking that Cylinder #1 is at TDC to confirm hat the timing chain was installed in the correct position? Note Can only see on grooved reference mark on the harmonic balancer while some references say there are two ?
I initially changed the crankshaft potion sensor with new one but then replaced the old one (which was ok before I started the job) to try to avoid the code P1345. After clearing the code with a scanner the code returns so I am thinking about taking it to the dealer for a check but would like to avoid the latter cost if possible. Thanks in advance !
Old February 21st, 2017, 5:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Redo the job. At TDC align the marks on the gears.