Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2001 Chevy Silverado stalls

Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Chevy Silverado stalls

Hi I recently purchased a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 2wd w/5.3L, and some times when I drive it will stall and I see the security light blink 3 times when this happens. When I restart the truck it starts right up without a problem but if I don’t keep taping the gas it will stall, but if the truck stalls and I put it in park and remove the key and put it back in, it starts right up and stays running. I have had one situation where the truck had stalled and I couldn’t restart it for 30min, it would crank but not start, like it was just out of gas. I just went to Auto Zone to have an engine diagnostic but there was 0 codes on the computer, so I am lost and any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan
Old January 4th, 2007, 1:34 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: 2001 Chevy Silverado stalls

You may want to check your cam and crank sensor. They can do things like that.
Old January 4th, 2007, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

How doi check him, or should i just change him and hope it was it.

Thanks
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:57 PM
CF Beginner

Hey I'm having a similar problem with my truck. I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado with the 4.8 L, when I start it and it's in Park or Neutral it runs fine. If I put it in any moving gear, Drive, Reverse, 1, 2, or 3rd it seems to lug down the engine. The voltage gauge goes down and the trucks rpm starts fluctuating. If I slow down or stop it will stall but will start back right away, the stalling doesn't always happen. It's basically fine until I put it in gear and even then it doesn't always stall but the rpm is low and the voltage drops off everytime I put it in gear. Did you get yours fixed?
Old January 12th, 2007, 7:14 AM
CF Senior Member

If you get a haynes manual it should tell you how to check them. Check your connections on the ignition system too. I know older GM's would shut off the pump if they weren't firing.
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:01 AM
CF Beginner

I’m in the process of getting mine fixed right now, are situation sound about the same. The dealer is say its the fuel pump, and im having an hard time believing that, but I am going to change my fuel pump this weekend so write me Sunday or Monday and ill let you know the results.
Old January 13th, 2007, 1:30 AM
CF Senior Member

It could be if you lose very much pressure on a newer car they won't run.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

Anyone figure these problems out? I just got a '90 and it's doing the same crap.[]
Old April 1st, 2008, 7:35 PM
CF Junior Member

hey for theGenIII series check the throttle position sensor.. my truck used to boucne from 400 to 1000 rpms and my voltage would react accordingly...i also thought bad fuel pump/filterbut there is a bulletin out for idle problems but im not sure where it is anymorewhat they do is adjust your minimum idle air for the idle control and put a rubber plug in the butterfly...but what i do is every time i change my oil i pull off the intake tube and spray some throttle body cleaner up in the Idle control valve port and i have never had an idle problem since... i change my oil every 10,000 miles... so i guess if you use the 3,000 rule do it every 3 changes...
Old April 8th, 2008, 12:39 AM
CF Beginner

ok, well, I told my mechanic about the fix holyspatulaboytold about. He had been playing for about a week trying to fix my problem and was severely stumped, so he tried it and poof, no more dieing. But there has to be a better way to fix this other than increasing the idle. I have thought about changing out the ECM, but I am not sure if that would be a solution or not. What would tell the motor to shut down if it falls below a certain RPM ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Chevy Silverado stalls