Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Bulletin No.: 02-06-04-037J and CEL P0446

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2017, 8:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

i checked the diagnostics for this dtc. the code sets when the ecm test the evap system for purge functionality. the ecm closes the vent, opens the purge solenoid when the engine is running. It expects to see a drop in the fuel tank pressure as a vacuum should be created in the tank. If it does not see the pressure drop, the dtc is set.
Its doesn't mean its the ftp sensor, the vent may not be sealing, the purge may not be opening, the purge path may be blocked, there may be a evap leak or the ftp sensor may be bad.
If your scan tool has bi-directional controls, you can seal the vent, open the purge and monitor the ftps with the scan tool.

the ftp sensor can be removed without lifting the bed or dropping the tank...but its tight. i remove the driveshaft so i can get my head up above the tank. blow out all the mud and dirt, unplug the electrical connector and pry the sensor up with a small prybar.
Old February 7th, 2017, 6:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks

My code reader is a basic type. Over the past year I have replaced the purge value (engine area), evap vent solenoid, and performed a smoke test (no leaks). After hearing from several others, the fuel pressure sensor appears to be the target.

Thanks again!