Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Bumpy ride, what's wrong with my suspension?

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2017, 1:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
the pictures of the torsion bars adjusting bolts; doesn't look like they are screwed in very far on one side.

shock extensions are a good idea and they are cheap. the shocks will be overextended without them. Or replace the shocks made for a set made for a raised vehicle.

you will needs a torsion bar unloading tool to install the new keys. you may be able to rent one.
https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_b3v8km02l_e

install the keys and jack the front wheels off the ground by the frame. screw the adjusting screw in. lower the vehicle. measure at the center line of each wheel from the grd to the fender. equalize the ride height by lowering the adjusting screws.

You can raise the vehicle but with all the weight on the torsion bars, its a lot of weight on the screws...so i like to raise is up high unloaded.

Thanks tech2! I did already rent that tool from AutoZone. Although, I think I'm going to have to wait until next weekend now and get some shock extenders and some new longer adjusting bolts just in case the factory ones don't work. Thanks again!
Old March 13th, 2017, 6:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I finally put the new Daystar torsion bar keys on my truck over the weekend, and I am super happy! It rides and looks so much better!!

Before I started the job, I wanted to double check about whether or not I needed longer adjusting bolts and/or shock extenders, so I emailed Daystar and they were very helpful and said, "No". I would recommend Daystar products, great customer service too!!
I rented the torsion bar puller tool from AutoZone ($80 refundable upon return), and got the job done in about 2.5 hours. The hardest part was cranking down on that puller tool to get the new keys in.
I started with the top of the front wheels measuring about 4 1/4 inches from the wheel well, and finished about 3" higher!! Check out the before and after pics! Again, it rides and looks so much better!!
I plan to check the measurements again and fine tune the adjusting screws (if necessary), and then get the front end alignment done in the next few days after the new keys/bar position settle in.

Also, want to give a shout out to Tech 2 on here for responding and helping me out!! I really appreciate all your time and help!! Thank you very, very much!!

I hope this thread helps someone else out too! Keep on Truckin everyone!
Attached Thumbnails Bumpy ride, what's wrong with my suspension?-img_5912.jpg   Bumpy ride, what's wrong with my suspension?-img_5917.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Bill216 (September 25th, 2022)
Old March 13th, 2017, 7:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the pics tell the story. looks good.
The following users liked this post:
Bill216 (September 25th, 2022)
Old January 1st, 2020, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumpy ride

Originally Posted by tech2
if the torsion bars are raised to high the ride will be harsh. Inspect the adjustment screws and see if they are screwed in to the max position.

as for vehicle sway, inspect the front sway bar bushings and links. I have a 2000 1500 and it sways when vehicles drive by at highway speed; its normal.

As for play in the steering linkage; go over the complete suspension, do a dry park check, inspect the upper/lower ball joints, steering linkage, idler/pitman arms and check for play.

Inspect the tires for irregular wear. If any is present, get an alignment.
You could also check your upper and lower control arm bushings to see if they're worn. You can also check the outer tie rod ends to see if they need replaced.