Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

HELP!!! Drivetrain/Rearend problems

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2017, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Drivetrain/Rearend problems

hello all, i got my truck from a relative who didnt take care of much maintenance on the truck.... Its a 2004 Z71 4x4......that being said the truck one day kinda locked up like the tranny or rear end locked while coming up to a stop sign, then after I had a rumble sound or a bearing sound coming from somewhere, it sounds like it is coming from the driver front had a guy listen he said back.... the noise comes on deceleration but can be there once you get to cruising speed once some of the pressure or torque is off the bearing or part thats bad i guess.. an doesnt matter if its put in neutral while rolling still.... so i got too looking the wheel bearing was bad and the cv boot had a tear on driver side so i changed it as well, the noise was still there. then i changed the u-joints because previous owner had left them bad beyond a few thousand miles or more the one on the transmission side was ok but the one on the diff was basically destroyed it was missing pieces on the caps.... the noise still remained..... I dont know much about the transfer case but the bearing sound seems to be coming from there... I changed the gear oil in the rear an it was silver in color an wasnt much in the dif, the gears an things looked fine from what i could see no pieces missing or things laying around... can post pics if needed.... the rear end also has a strange loud clanking noise that only comes when i hit a decent bump then it starts clanking and doesnt stop until i come to a rest and wont make the sound again until you hit another bump again. The truck accelerates fine can gas it hard an doesnt make the noise. Sometimes the truck clunks once pretty hard an loud also on rougher roads but doesnt often. It seems to have a lot of backlash the truck still moves a little when put in gear after changing the u-joints. Also when put into 4X4 the bearing sound is less but still there.....I hope you can make something out of that jumbled mess hahaha

Last edited by Holding93; February 28th, 2017 at 10:08 PM.