Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Instrument Backlighting

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2017, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Backlighting

Original owner of a 2001 Silverado LS Extended Cab 5.3L V8. Perplexing problem I hope someone can help with. At night I have no back-lighting on the instrument cluster expect the Odometer and no lights on the radio. All gauges are working as well as the Headlights, brake lights and turn signals. Only in daylight do the lights on the radio work. All grounds checked with no problems. Could this have something to do with the DRL sensor?
Old January 5th, 2017, 2:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cfakes
Original owner of a 2001 Silverado LS Extended Cab 5.3L V8. Perplexing problem I hope someone can help with. At night I have no back-lighting on the instrument cluster expect the Odometer and no lights on the radio. All gauges are working as well as the Headlights, brake lights and turn signals. Only in daylight do the lights on the radio work. All grounds checked with no problems. Could this have something to do with the DRL sensor?
Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are vendors on the site and want to offer some assistance. If the display is dimming or going out, that is something that we can repair. If for some reason the cluster has no power, that is a more serious problem and the cluster might not be repairable but in that case, we can locate a replacement and program your mileage into it for you as well. Check out the repair service here and feel free to contact us with any questions:

Repair Service 1999.5, 2000, 2001, 2002 GM Truck and SUV Gauge Cluster Odometer Screen

Thanks,
Old January 6th, 2017, 1:17 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Did you try adjusting the dimmer for these lights? Never over look the obvious!
Old January 6th, 2017, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Tried adjusting the dimmer switch (Never over look the obvious!). Messing with the dimmer still no lights on the instrument cluster but the interior overhead light flickers on briefly. Verified bulb is good. Went ahead and ordered a new dimmer control module. Trying this before replacing the expensive instrument cluster. Still wondering if there's a problem with the day light sensor???
Thanks for the info....
Old January 9th, 2017, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

Problem was a short in the Dimmer control module. Replace it and now I have all back lighting on the instrument cluster, radio and A/C. Everything is working properly. Really hate theses electrical problems.
Old January 9th, 2017, 9:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Mine is the opposite problem. I have all the dash lights with the exception of the odometer and shift selector lights. They do come on once in a while and stay on until I shut the truck off. Next time they might come on or not. I kind of think it's a loose connection and will check it out once the weather warms up here in MN.
Old February 20th, 2017, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

CFakes, I have the same problem on my '02 silverado. It's just control panel where the A/C controls are located. The fix you did with the dimmer control module, was it difficult and how much was the part. Thanks.
Old February 21st, 2017, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ironworker87
CFakes, I have the same problem on my '02 silverado. It's just control panel where the A/C controls are located. The fix you did with the dimmer control module, was it difficult and how much was the part. Thanks.
Really easy. Took less than 5 minutes. It's a plug and play replace. Think there's a Youtube video showing how to replace. Part from Amazon. Cost around $48.00.
Old February 25th, 2017, 6:24 AM
CF Beginner

Ok thanks for the help