Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Need some advice on buying a used 05 Silverado Z71

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2017, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on buying a used 05 Silverado Z71

Hey guys really glad I found the site. I've been on here checking out all the great stuff. My question is on a 2005 Z71. A local guy has it for sale and it is in nice shape, 5.3 engine , auto trans with the 3.43 rear end and towing package. 105,000 miles. It's the exact truck I've been looking for as I don't want a long bed or extra cab truck. The only issue as there are a couple of little bugs that keep me from pulling the trigger. First the turn signal when turned on left gets stuck and sometimes doesn't work. I have read up and it seems a new relay under the dash will fix this. Second when you turn the engine on the "service airbag" light comes on but if you push the little odometer button on top of the steering console it goes off. And third the check engine light is on. He says it's been on for 2 years and it never affected the way it drives so he doesn't pay attention to it. Seems like a pretty straight up guy but maybe all these glitches are normal and wouldn't take much to fix or maybe there are to many warning signs and I should keep looking. The rest of the truck is in nice shape with no scratches or rust and I can get it for $7900.00. I guess electronic bugs scare me to death lol.....
Attached Thumbnails Need some advice on buying a used 05 Silverado Z71-image.jpg  
Old January 17th, 2017, 8:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

price seems high for a regular cab truck...hope its not a 2wd.

hard to say without knowing what dtc are set. I would recommend a 1hour inspection at a shop so you know what your in for....$120 investment on a $8000 purchase is good insurance.

this gen of gm trucks were very reliable with few engine problems.

Any ten+ year old truck...expect to put at least $1000 into it after purchase...if you don't do your own work make that $2000.
Old January 18th, 2017, 9:23 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Does he have good maintenance records? Were the oil and filters changed regularly? The maintenance of any vehicle is very important. You can also have the code read. If you don't have a scan tool, take it to Autozone, they will read it for you for free. I agree that a truck with some issues is high at $7900. In good condition Kelly Blue Book has this truck at $7600.
Old January 18th, 2017, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get it inspected by a mechanic before offering any money for it. I got a tech to take a look at mine before i bought it and I was able to get the seller to get the price down quite a bit. Plus then you know if these problems are expensive or not be because he can give you a quote.