Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

No fire to plugs

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2016, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No fire to plugs

99 Silverado with 4.3 , 5 speed
Backed up in driveway wouldn't start back. First thought fuel pump but you can hear it when you turn on switch. Also, sprayed starter fluid in carb and no start no hit. Checked and no fire to plugs. Previously had bad modual so I replaced it again. Still not fire. I had vehicle for fours years and figured wouldn't hurt to change plugs, plug wires and distributor cap and rotor but still no fire. I am getting fire from coil to distributor but none at plugs. Check engine light comes on when you turn on key.no RPM registering. So I replaced the crank sensor thinking that was it but still no power at plugs.
I think that is about it. I have a multi meter but not schooled in its use. Yes it cranks but want hit at all.
Help appreciated.
Old May 29th, 2016, 6:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

If you have spark from coil to cap, has to be cap or rotor if no spark at any of the plugs.
Old May 30th, 2016, 11:08 PM
CF Beginner

Already Replaced cap and rotor with plugs and wires
Old May 30th, 2016, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by John6275
Already Replaced cap and rotor with plugs and wires
Understood. But if you have good spark from the coil, it's next stop is the cap/rotor and appropriate plug. Double check your firing order since you changed wires.
Old May 31st, 2016, 7:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the way it works is the coil puts the juice in the distributor and the rotor puts the juice into the plugs ! check the neutral safety switch, if it's bad it won't start !
Old June 1st, 2016, 7:24 AM
CF Beginner

Just saw answer about neutral safety switch. Not back to vehicle but mine is a 5 speed manual would it have one?

Still going to check firing order and then take new distributor cap back off and check
Old June 1st, 2016, 8:06 AM
CF Veteran

neutral safety/clutch switches would stop the vehicle from cranking not kill spark.

You say you have a check engine light and no rpm showing? What code? I'm betting theres a crank sensor or timing issue.
Old June 1st, 2016, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

Ok, disconnected distributor cap and visually inspected it (new) but maybe. No visible issues. Reconfirmed firing order and plug wires to be sure correct. Still no fire at plugs.

There are no codes showing. Crank sensor already replaced.
Old June 1st, 2016, 8:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you say you replaced the crank sensor ? well if you don't get those crank sensors lined up right it will ruin it as soon as you crank the engine ! the way I always did it was I marked around the old one before taking it off, that way I could put the new one back in the same spot ! hmm ! spark from the coil to the distributor but no spark to the plugs ? sounds like the rotor button or another thing it could be is the distributor shaft is not turning when you crank the engine ! take the cap off and have someone crank the engine to see if the shaft is turning !
Old June 1st, 2016, 9:34 AM
CF Beginner

Crank sensor only goes one way because of attachment point. I will take distributor off again this evening and see if rotor is turning