Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Silverado help

Old January 22nd, 2017, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado help

I just found this forum and hope someone will help an inexperienced wanna be mechanic. I am working on my 2002 Silverado 1500 2 wd. It had a busted leaf spring shackle on the driver's side. I couldn't get the old bolt out of the bushing, so I removed the leaf springs. The axle u bolts were no problem, but eaten up bad with rust. The front leaf spring bushing bolt wouldn't come out of the bracket before hitting the gas tank, so I cut it off. I removed the springs and got
​​​the bolt out of the rear bushing. Then put springs back on truck.
​​​I put in a new front bushing bolt... however I inserted it with the head facing out (because not enough clearance on the inside due to the fuel tank). I installed 2 NEW u bolts and the rear shackle and bolts. I just barely snugged things up, let the truck down then torqued to specs I found on the internet. Within 5 minutes one of the u bolts snapped, I hadn't moved the truck yet. I'm hoping poor quality u bolt. I bought a different brand of u bolt and installed those with the truck sitting as is.... not jacked up in any way. I did tighten in the 1-3-2-4 pattern. Sorry for long story, but here are my questions
#1 What are the proper torque values on u bolts, shackle bolts, front eye bolt?
#2 Did I tighten harware correctly? With the vehicle down off jacks
#3 Is there a reason the front leaf spring bushing bolt should be installed with the head facing center of the truck? I have mine in the opposite way

Hoping the busted u bolt was a fluke, not something I did wrong that could lead to a safety issue
TIA Jim
​​​​
​​

Search this Thread