Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 24th, 2015, 5:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$

Old September 27th, 2016, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No quality any where

2009 here. 105,000 miles. Lifter and camshaft. $4,700.00 with a new drivers side motor mount. They told me that broken motor mounts are normal, because they are made out of rubber. Never ever broke a motor mount. Also a part broke on the fuel injection system, which caused truck to go into limp mode, which almost got me and my passengers killed on the interstate at speed. The answer from gm. Got parts from different suppliers ,and we don't know where they are. We will pay for new parts and $100.00 for towing. Gee I was an hour from home it's was more than a hundred for the tow. Thanks GM.The chrome job on the rims stopped right at the bead. The salt corroded this area, and I had to put air in the tires every other week. Tire store tried on several Atempts tried to fix leaking air.I bought new rims and tires. The dash cracked just like the 70's. Bad design. Gm says sorry not our problem.just rebuilt the front end this week. do all maintenance change oil every 3,000 miles. Keep trucks 10 years or 150,000 miles. Never had to fix front end EVER. This is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. Will I buy another GM? NEVER. With all the problems I have seen here, class action law suit?

Last edited by Mr flinkus; September 27th, 2016 at 6:54 PM. Reason: Incomplete
Old October 7th, 2016, 4:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 LTZ Camshaft problem

OMG!
My suburban is in the shop as of this afternoon for the same problems. Started with engine light , then cylinder misfire code, then low oil pressure light. From there it just went down hill. This all is a matter of weeks (since last oil change). My camshaft isn't pushing oil through (reading). Mechanic says I need to rebuild or replace entire engine. After reading everyone's post, I can't believe Chevy is aware of this MAJOR ISSUE. It should be a RECALL!! I don't have $6,000.00 to pay for this. I'm definitely going to Toyota if they don't cover this cost. Any advise or recommendations ?
Old October 7th, 2016, 4:50 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Bill Lemar
I have a 2010 Silverado 5.3 In the dealer now. Lifters and camshaft $6000. repair $7400 new engine.
I am in with any class action law suit !.
Let's get it started!
Old October 8th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

From the Tahoe section a poster mentioned that Honda has the same issue
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...19/#post328218
Old October 9th, 2016, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default Checking back in...Sorry to Hear So Many Others with this Issue

Originally Posted by in2pro
From the Tahoe section a poster mentioned that Honda has the same issue
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...19/#post328218
I'm the OP - ref to Honda is re-direction. GM's AFM is a big $$$ problem for most. I traded for a RAM 5.7hemi and now have over 120K miles, no issues other than dead battery. I read yesterday that RAM truck sales have surpassed GM, with good reason - I think this thread has spread the word. I hope this discussion has helped others avoid a costly repair. If you buy a GM, sell before warranty expires! Best of luck everyone.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2013 silverado z71

I'll add my 2 cents to the discussion. About a week ago the engine ran rough for about 30 seconds, I heard a popping sound, the stabil track warning came on and so I took it to the dealer. Sure as chit it was the lifters and cam shaft both needing replacement. I have 51000 miles on the vehicle since new, but was never expecting this. The dealer is covering under warranty so no real cost to me except the inconvience of not having my truck during duck hunting season. Still not sure if I should keep it or trade to a Ford or Dodge before I get stuck with the repair the next time. Very disgusted with the whole situation. After reading all the other posts, I'm sorry to say I think I have bought my last Chevy truck. I have been a Chevy guy since I started driving in 1970, but no more. It's a dam shame because I really like the truck and have a matching cap, weather tech mats, and Mossy Oak seat covers that are all now worthless.....................They can send a rover to Mars and it works flawlessly, but lifters and cam shafts are a whole different ball game I guess.

Last edited by don novicki; October 22nd, 2016 at 1:03 PM.
Old October 24th, 2016, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

I just took my 2008 Chevy Tahoe with 152K miles in with the same issue. Technician told me that I needed the lifters and cam shaft replaced. I've had all the service and oil changes done at the dealership. I just replaced the transmission which "mysteriously" failed right after the 150K mile service (which included a transmission flush).

It certainly sounds like an design issue with so many lifters going out with low mileage.

I'm in for another $3K for this issue, so if anyone hears about a Class Action or starts one, please let me know.
Old October 27th, 2016, 1:52 AM
MJA
CF Beginner

Default Chevy abandons loyal owner

Anyone contemplating a 2007 or newer Chevrolet with the 5.3l V8 needs to Google any forums relating to their AFM "active fuel management" system.
You will learn immediately of serious and very costly engine problems. MANY stories on the web are typical of my own experience. I purchased a new 2007
Suburban and despite maintaining it meticulously failures consisted of, transmission replaced 32k, overheated differential 53k, several fuel emission control problems,
and the main point of this reply a failed engine at 72k. Seems Chevy decided to incorporate a fuel saving system which shuts off fuel (injection) to 4 of the cylinders
while under light loads to save fuel. The engine is designed to also close off those particular cylinders by collapsing the valve lifters (electrically) so that these same cylinders in
effect act as an air spring. Short version is your running on 4 cylinders. Great idea EXCEPT the non firing cylinders have no combustion pressure to force the piston rings out aginst
the cylinder wall and seal as they are designed. Thus oil is allowed to pass to the combustion (Top) side of the piston causing a huge oil consumption problem. Forums are riddled
with this FIRST complaint. My 2007 was consuming 3 qts between oil changes at 5k. This began at about 25k miles and steadily increased.
A more serious problem is when the valve lifters are constantly shifting (solid/collapsing) they are **** to failure. As many here know a failed valve train is a SERIOUS casualty .
My Suburban suddenly lost one cylinder at 58k. I thought it was a bad ignition coil pack but had to take it to a GM shop. They said it was a "stuck lifter". This really didn't much
sense to me but i paid and moved on. At 72k same thing #7 cylinder dead...Went back to dealer and was informed "collapsed lifter". Next they said that to know what really is the cause the cylinder head would need to come off (which is true with the LS engine), cost $1800. They went on to say that it would be best to replace all the lifters while they had it apart, (which is also true) another $1800. They acted as if this was a new event for them. I told them "hold on" I need to do some investigating. Sure enough I went on line to educate myself and the first Chevrolet forum I looked at described my EXACT SAME PROBLEM followed by MANY others. Why didn't the GM dealer just be upfront with me? SECOND complaint. So I was faced with ~$4000 repair bill OR (as I had to work out) I could replace the engine with a rebuilt long block for $6400. This was on my 7 year old vehicle with 72k miles! By the way the local customer rep for GM could only offer a "customer loyalty discount" of $2000 off a new $50k Suburban...! So my next step was to call GM and see if they could help...HA GOOD LUCK on that. I was hoping for a little HELP towards the purchase of the long block, even a $1000 bucks would have been something. Here's what you can expect, first GM makes you feel like they're with you by "filing a claim" next after 4 or 5 weeks of "we'll look into it," they send your file to the "lead claims rep" (aka. the cubicle next door). I dealt with this run around for 3 months and the dealership didn't seem to mind my Suburban taking up their stall space (maybe they've seen this before) (again why didn't they just be up front and spare me the trouble). BOTTOM LINE, I paid the $6400 for the rebuilt long block. I feel why repair an engine and not fix the inherent problem? The newer engine has had some "redesign to address this problem" thus essentially admitting to the problem. I really try to give "American made" my business, but I will no longer EVEN CONSIDER a GM product. By the way later on I see that this vehicle was made in Mexico, What the....Maybe it's true what the say about NAFTA. Anyway I hope this will be some help to others as others have helped me with internet entries.
MJA
Old December 12th, 2016, 11:23 AM
CF Beginner

Hello Forum! Its me again from 2012. Guess what's back in the shop again for lifters and camshaft?? YOU'RE CORRECT MY TRUCK AGAIN!!! WT...!!
Old December 13th, 2016, 4:53 AM
CF Beginner

Angry

That's bad news ghost and now I am thinking it's going to happen to me again it's just a matter of time. I had hoped to keep this truck until I retire but now maybe I might be working a few more years. Time to trade it ghost before you get stuck holding the bag..........me too. P.S. My 2007 Silverado used 2 quarts of oil between 3500 mile oil changes. I knew something was wrong then but no one would admit anything.

Last edited by don novicki; December 13th, 2016 at 4:56 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$