Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 24th, 2015, 5:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2016, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Just talked with the dealer and GM Corporate. $5,700 or have the truck picked up!! No assistance available! NICE Chevy! I will NEVER own another GM vehicle again!
Old December 16th, 2016, 11:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sad that gm wont stand by there trucks I got 2008 chevy Silverado ltz 115k on it so far so good after reading this it seem that gm knew about it
Old December 29th, 2016, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

This is all so sickening to read. This exact same issue happened to me in 2015 with my 2008 Suburban and my cousin had this happen with his 2009 Yukon. You work your butt off for most of your life in order to treat yourself to a really nice vehicle. Unfortunately, I was at the 115,000 mile mark. I'm sure that you can guess that GM told me to go pack sand. I was past the warranty line, so it's not their problem; even though there's a huge history of problems from this. $5,600 out of pocket to have the engine replaced; only then to have a drunk driver blow through a stop light, two weeks later, and destroy the vehicle. On the insurance settlement, they credited me an additional $1,500 for the new engine. So effectively, I threw $4gs out the window.

My dad worked at GM for 30 years, I owned GM my entire life; but I'll never buy a GM again. Ford make a damn nice vehicle, whether it's an Escape or F150. I'm just as happy and don't feel rear-ended by them.

Too bad so many people were screwed over. Oh well, live and learn.
Old January 12th, 2017, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Could we do an on line petition regarding these tricks

I have a 2010 Sierra 1500. Had a misfire in cylinder two. A week later pulled out of driveway and a light illuminated and said safe mode. Shut vehicle off. Truck started to tick n run off. Turned in back into driveway. Had it towed. Found out hydrolauic lifters went. No oil. Motor shot. Is this connected to the AFM? Anyone if would be great.

Originally Posted by karl halozan
Agreed - 100%! I ended up with a Jasper rebuilt 5.3 engine rather then buying a new truck for now. I'm pissed off and hope owners of these defective engines will start a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT GM 5.3 AFM to try and recoup expenses due to the cam & lifter issues on these AFM engines. GM has their warranty and once your out - that's it. I called GM CS and spoke with with Patrick Rumpz from GM. Nice guy, but after listening to sympathy for my problem, GM declined to offer assistance on the repairs or engine replacement- nothing, Nada. Funny how our local GM dealer (Rossi Chevrolet Washington NJ) has in stock the cam & lifters for this engine- what a coincidence! GM does not deserve my business and I would not recommend anyone to buy a Chevrolet, that is unless you like to purchase vehicles that have documented recurring catastrophic failures and no support as soon as it is out of warranty. To send your thanks to GM the address is: General Motors 100 Renaissance Center PO Box 482B Detroit Michigan 48265
Old February 22nd, 2017, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

I asked this in the Suburban forum but haven't gotten an answer yet. Apologies for cross posting. I'm looking at buying a 2009-2011 vehicle (An Avalanche, but same motor) and want to know if there's any way a mechanic doing a pre-purchase inspection can tell if the engine is in good enough shape that a tuner AFM delete will keep it good? Is this something that you can't find any problems until the problem gets bad?
Old February 23rd, 2017, 4:14 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I would suspect that you would need to look for a high metal count in an oil sample lead, copper, iron... but a fresh oil change could mask that, the next place I would look is under the valve covers, looking for sludge or metal deposits that have pooled so to speak. The one sure fire way is to pull the lifters and inspect, but that is rather costly.
Old February 26th, 2017, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks in2pro!
Old March 8th, 2017, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I knew then what I know now….
5 year Warranty expired in September of 2016, My truck has approximately 60K miles on it.
It all started with a check engine light, ( a week ago Monday), I was 300 miles from a regularly scheduled oil change so I had the wife take it to the dealership. When I purchased the truck I also purchased lifetime oil changes, they have did every oil change on schedule…
That afternoon my wife informed me it was going to cost $1800 to fix the truck? I called the service person assigned to my truck and she explained to me that the #1 cylinder had fouled the plug due to an oil consumption issue? (I have Never added oil to this truck since I have owned it). That threw me for a loop, she then went on to explain that the fix was to take the oil pan off and clean the carbon out of the cylinders, put back together with new plugs for $1800? The conversation ended very shortly after that because I asked questions that she could not answer…
I went down to the dealership a couple days ago to talk tobthem about the repairs to fully understand the repairs. So what I heard was they were going to remove the oil pan, fill the cylinder with Carburetor Cleaner to clean the carbon off the rings, drain it all out, (that ought to be good on the mains), put it all back together with new plugs….
I told her that was NOT a fix for the problem… end of conversation…
I have owned Chevy’s trucks my whole life, I can take a 70’s truck completely apart and put it back together! I still own a 1958 Apache 4x4 I built!
I am very disappointed to say the least… I find it hard to believe that Chey knows they have a problem and will not do anything about it?I have worked hard all my life for everything I have, and this was going to bethe last truck I owned?
The engine really has great power and runs great if they would get rid of the AFM.
No one from Chevy has spoke with me yet for any kind of fix for this engine, no help for the well documented problem they have...
The dealer is even worse, $40K for the truck and they could care less - they want more!
Old March 8th, 2017, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 year Warranty expired in September of 2016, My truck has approximately 60K miles on it.
It all started with a check engine light, ( a week ago Monday), I was 300 miles from a regularly scheduled oil change so I had the wife take it to the dealership. When I purchased the truck I also purchased lifetime oil changes, they have did every oil change on schedule…
That afternoon my wife informed me it was going to cost $1800 to fix the truck? I called the service person assigned to my truck and she explained to me that the #1 cylinder had fouled the plug due to an oil consumption issue? (I have Never added oil to this truck since I have owned it). That threw me for a loop, she then went on to explain that the fix was to take the oil pan off and clean the carbon out of the cylinders, put back together with new plugs for $1800? The conversation ended very shortly after that because I asked questions that she could not answer…
I went down to the dealership a couple days ago to talk to them about the repairs to fully understand the repairs. So what I heard was they were going to remove the oil pan, fill the cylinder with Carburetor Cleaner to clean the carbon off the rings, drain it all out, (that ought to be good on the mains), put it all back together with new plugs….
I have owned Chevy’s trucks my whole life, I can take a 70’s truck completely apart and put it back together! I still own a 1958 Apache 4x4 I built!
I am very disappointed to say the least… I find it hard to believe that Chey knows they have a problem and will not do anything about it? I have worked hard all my life for everything I have, and this was going to be the last truck I owned?
The engine really has great power and runs great if they would get rid of the AFM.
No one from Chevy has spoke with me yet for any kind of fix for this engine, no help for the well documented problem they have...
The dealer is even worse, $40K for the truck and they could care less - they want more!
Old March 9th, 2017, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by disappointed1
I went down to the dealership a couple days ago to talk to them about the repairs to fully understand the repairs. So what I heard was they were going to remove the oil pan, fill the cylinder with Carburetor Cleaner to clean the carbon off the rings, drain it all out, (that ought to be good on the mains), put it all back together with new plugs….
I am very disappointed to say the least… I find it hard to believe that Chey knows they have a problem and will not do anything about it? I have worked hard all my life for everything I have, and this was going to be the last truck I owned?
Buy a programmer and shut AFM off I did at 70,000 and now have 225,000 on my 5.3L

Quick Reply: 2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$