Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2012, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 Silverado Instrument Cluster

My instrument panel on my 2008 silverado 1500 will freeze up every now and then. it only does it when i start the truck. when i realize it, i can pull over and shut the truck off, then wait a few seconds, turn it back on, and the gages all work again. I have power to everything else except for the whole panel. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Rmosley (February 9th, 2021)
Old November 20th, 2012, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solder Joints

The solder joints on the back of the panel may be cracked. Try re-soldering the joints on the panel.
Old November 20th, 2012, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that doesn't work is my best bet a new panel? Just figuring out my options. Thanks for the input.
Old November 21st, 2012, 8:50 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jschmoll,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. This may be related to a connection issue, as "tyleralt56" suggested.

I recommend consulting with a certified technician for additional assistance, as they will be able to offer an official diagnosis after inspecting the vehicle.

If you need assistance locating a technician near you, please feel free to PM me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 21st, 2012, 9:28 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I think I would start with pulling the IP out and reseating the electrical connection... unplug and plug it back in firmly...may also want to use some electrical contact cleaner on the connections...
Old January 16th, 2013, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Default Update?

Have you been able to fix your problem with the instrument cluster on your Silverado? What did you do?

I'm have the same exact problem with my 2008 Silverado except it only seems to be problem when the outside temperature is close to freezing. After the cab warms up, the gauges work fine!

Any help would be appreciated!
Old January 16th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Give this thread a read and see if it helps or provides any insight
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...-repair-36889/
Old January 16th, 2013, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Has anyone figured it out or have any pics of it?

I've had the same problem with the instrument panel on my 2008 Silverado... it's either all on or it's all off. When it's warm or hot outside it's on, but if it's cold outside it's off. Sometimes when the truck warms up and I make a quick stop, when I turn it back on the panel comes on too. I thought it could may be a relay getting stuck because of the cold weather, but didn't find one for the panel...? I tried tapping the dashboard a little but it still didn't work... I really doubt it's a loose wire or solder. I guess I'll pull it out to check the connections and take a look to see if there's anything I may see wrong.

Old January 16th, 2013, 3:38 PM
Administrator

Sheriff007 Welcome to the forum...
Do check out my previous post as it does include pictures of what to check for and how to fix some of the instrument panel issues...
Old August 5th, 2013, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the exact problem with a 2008 Silverado. Any help with possible solution would be greatly appreciated. Entire cluster goes dead (not just DIC and gear indicator). No gauges, display, lights, turn signals - total power failure. Turn key off, let set for 2 minutes, and things come back to life. Please help...

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado Instrument Cluster