Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2012, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Stereo speakers

I have a 2008 Silverado ls and I had problems with not hearing the turn signals or warning beeps when you leave your keys in ignition. I did some checking and found the door speaker on the drivers side was not working, which all these alarms are designated to come through. I ordered some big kick butt speakers installed them and have got everything working again.
The speakers GM installed were cheap.....
Old March 12th, 2012, 3:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by southerngent2no
I have a 2008 Silverado ls and I had problems with not hearing the turn signals or warning beeps when you leave your keys in ignition. I did some checking and found the door speaker on the drivers side was not working, which all these alarms are designated to come through. I ordered some big kick butt speakers installed them and have got everything working again.
The speakers GM installed were cheap.....
What speakers did you put? Where they a direct fit?
Old March 13th, 2012, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Do you guys know the diameter of the front speakers...?
Old March 14th, 2012, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BigFletch
I have an 08 LS with the same problem. The front door speakers work MOST of the time during the summer but in the winter, they never work. I have been thinking about getting new speakers or new stereo unit. I'd rather just get one or the other if I have to. If I take it to the Dealership, will they know whats wrong? In other words, is this a common problem?

Well I ended up going to the dealership to see if they could fix it under warranty. All they did was replace the 2 front door speakers. Since I am only under extended warranty, I had to pay $100. Looking at the parts detail, they are only $40 a piece speakers! I would have rather paid $100-$150 for a decent pair of speakers instead of GM stock crap. I really figured this was an internal radio unit problem. Oh well, I'll take my loss and move on. At least the speakers work, for now.
Old March 14th, 2012, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

The ones I replaced mine with was a set of Alpines. If you go to Crutchfield.com and fill out what kind of truck or car you have they pull up what speakers are compatible with it. I am thinking the size where 2 way Alpine 6000 series speakers. They were a direct fit. But you can buy Kicker, Kenwood, etc etc..
Old March 14th, 2012, 2:19 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> baldana,

6-1/2"

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
The following users liked this post:
lvc2 (January 24th, 2020)
Old March 15th, 2012, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

im still dealing with mine.. its coming up on summer and im going to have to do something.. i did however notice something funny last night. i was pulling down a steep grade from a friends driveway and my speakers upfront that have been out for so long started popping on and off just sitting like that. im sure it has to be a short but if im pulling the door panels off to fix it im replacing them with something good!!!

how hard it is to get the door panels off for those of you guys that have done it? anything to watch for like clips or pins that might be a problem when getting it back on correctly?
Old March 16th, 2012, 9:34 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by vtprairie03
im still dealing with mine.. its coming up on summer and im going to have to do something.. i did however notice something funny last night. i was pulling down a steep grade from a friends driveway and my speakers upfront that have been out for so long started popping on and off just sitting like that. im sure it has to be a short but if im pulling the door panels off to fix it im replacing them with something good!!!

how hard it is to get the door panels off for those of you guys that have done it? anything to watch for like clips or pins that might be a problem when getting it back on correctly?
I had never removed a door on this truck before and I watched some youtube's on that Crutchfield.com it has photo's of how to remove a door. There is not much to it.
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:43 PM
CF Beginner

I am having similar problems with my 08 crew cab radio. I noticed the right front speaker not working several months ago. It works some of the time. Now the left front speaker is malfunctioning. Also, when I used the hands free calling the other day I cold barely hear the onstar assistant.
Old April 5th, 2012, 8:39 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> lonas08Z71,

It sounds as if there is a short somewhere. Have you had the system inspected?

Louis
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue