Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Clunking sound from rear end. Help!

Old May 29th, 2016, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking sound from rear end. Help!

Hello. Im new to the forum so I'm sorry if this isn't the right place. I'm in a bit of a pickle with my 2011 silverado. I keep getting this knocking sound from the rear end when I apply the breaks. I've pulled both rear tires off and looked at the breaks (Drums) and they're both fine. Pads look healthy, very light surface rust on the drums themselves. Even the springs have the paint still on them. I can't figure it out what the problem is. You can definitely hear it from the driver side rear end and it's specifically only when I apply the breaks. Coasting, accelerating, all with no sounds other than tire noise. You apply the breaks and it knocks and it matches the rotation of the tires. I've also noticed the sound really only starts in if I've accelerated beyond 10-15mph. I've also noticed if I'm doing an idle roll I don't hear anything when breaking. My only thought at this point is that the drums "egged" and are lobbing when I apply the breaks. Has anyone else had experience with this? The truck only has 73k on it.
Old June 14th, 2016, 4:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 Z71 with almost 79k. I frequently get some clunk and what feels like driveline slack when going from brakes to coasting a bit and then back on the gas. It's very noticeable when going from park to gear. Apparently the slip yoke needs some grease. I just live with it.

Search this Thread