Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2016, 12:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default instrument cluster

Hello I have a problem my instrument cluster lights are flickering.. All Gages are working. But when I hit a bump or something the lights will turn back on.. Then turn back off.. I have 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
Old December 7th, 2016, 3:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ricky Lucero
Hello I have a problem my instrument cluster lights are flickering.. All Gages are working. But when I hit a bump or something the lights will turn back on.. Then turn back off.. I have 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are vendors on the site and want to offer some assistance. Your vehicle is an 07, and they are at the age now of needing repairs and it is quite common. We have a repair service to cover it, located here:

Repair Service 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 GM and Chevy Gauge Cluster Odometer Display

If for some reason the cluster is not repairable, we help locate a replacement and program the mileage into it before shipping to you. Give us a call today to get started or ask further questions! We are happy to help out.

Thanks,
Old February 29th, 2020, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Chevy Silverado instrument cluster dead

I’ve been reading these kinds of forums for years but never contributed. I had luck today with my cluster and thought what I did might help someone else. I just recently bought the truck with a fully dysfunctional cluster only the back lights and service engine soon light functioned. I took it out and studied it for a couple days and finally noticed there was a tiny break in one the trace lines going from a cap to a transistor to another transistor. (I actually shorted one of the trace lines out while troubleshooting hence two wires) But anyhow I soldered a couple wires to bypass the breaks and voila it worked like a charm. Its only been one day but hoping this will last. Instead of $200 for a used one or $600 from the dealer it cost me $20 for a 60w soldering gun to fix it.

Notice the yellow wires at the top that I used to bypass the trace lines
Old March 1st, 2020, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default Follow up day 2 I was wrong there’s a short somewhere

I came out this morning and the cluster was dead again, if anyone knows anything let me know.

Thanks
Old March 1st, 2020, 3:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by lohnwolf
I came out this morning and the cluster was dead again, if anyone knows anything let me know.

Thanks
Could have bypassed a capacitor, and not knowing. I have an 03 Suburban, spent $258 to get the speedometer fixed. With that he added a transmission temp, and replaced the PRNDL led's, my thought is take it to a speedo shop. I had the transmission temp added as I tow a travel trailer, this the first time I've towed anything with an automatic transmission.
Old March 1st, 2020, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default Upon further investigation....

Originally Posted by lohnwolf

Thanks
It turns out I’m not nearly as cool as I thought I was, cause when I took the cluster apart this afternoon, five wires had completely melted (not sure how far down the wires melted but far enough that I couldn’t see the end) as well as half the 20 pin plug. Luckily the truck still runs without the cluster and burnt wires. This has turned into a cluster f$$k. So moral of the story is don’t do as I did. There’s a reason why it shorted out in the first place and that needs to be found first.
Old March 6th, 2020, 3:57 PM
CF Beginner

The problem is that shorts can cause issues into the computer modules if you are not careful. Interestingly enough many of the problems can start with battery causing shorts to happen from what I discovered. I recently had issues and worked with one of the top known remanufactures as I don't trust these small shops. I think they supply the small shops anyways it seems. You should check out iss automotive if you want a cluster. They used to service all the GM clusters for warranty so I only trust them. https://issautomotive.com/