Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Interested Truck Buyer -- General Question

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2016, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested Truck Buyer -- General Question

I'm interested in financing a 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 crew cab (5.3L V-8 cyl engine). It's already lifted so I'm not expecting great gas mileage. Also, I'm not planning on hauling anything extreme.

I've already tried to research information on prominent issues with the truck but can't seem to get a straight answer. Does anyone have some info on the general consensus of the truck (pros, cons, issues, etc.)?
Old July 1st, 2016, 11:12 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

The main question to me is if the truck was well maintained. What is the mileage and are there maintenance records? Does it look like it was abused. It is not that old, but a lot can happen in 4 years.
Old July 1st, 2016, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has 66k miles on it and ran pretty well during the test drive. The truck itself is super clean inside and out. Leather on the interior is not scratched at all. No dents or noticeable scratches except a tiny sealed chip on the windshield probably caused by a rock.

No accidents on the Carfax though it only has 1 actual record of service history (includes the below) which is recent. The truck looks well maintained but I'm guessing that any previous maintenance jobs were not reported to Carfax.

5/31
Pre-delivery inspection completed
Brake fluid flushed/changed
Floor mats installed
Front brake pads replaced
Front brakes serviced
Oil and filter changed
Power steering fluid leak checked
Safety inspection performed
Tire(s) balanced
VIN glass etching
Washed/detailed
Old July 1st, 2016, 9:42 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The 5.3 motor scares me. I won't buy one. Lots of people say GM fixed the AFM issues starting in 2010, but I say that's just because the fleet hasn't racked up enough mileage yet to expose the problem.

If you get it, disable the AFM.

I'd also be a little squeamish about the lift. Was it done properly? How are the CV angles up front? How are the wheel bearings and brakes? The GM half-ton trucks are notorious for brake problems, so bigger wheels and tires will exacerbate the problem.