Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Oil change appears to have dirt in it

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2017, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change appears to have dirt in it

I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 4.8 l vortec it would seem that when I changed my oil this after noon I had what would appear as something that looked like dirt i have 124000 miles on it now and i bought it with 89 it still runs as good as the day i bought it I have had no problems with the truck at all except for a bad battery I love my truck and plan on keeping it a long time. When I changed the oil I drained it in a old pan when draining it from the oil drain plug it seemed clean and just in need of a change I change it every 4000 miles however when I took off the oil filter it became really gritty once the oil started coming out I don't know if it was dirt and stuff on the filter I live in West Virginia and they salt the roads heavy this time of year along with a lot of cinders and everything else inside the filter looked clean to what I could see and the oil coming out seemed clean also I tried sticking a cheap magnet on it to see if anything would stick but it wasn't a good one it didn't seem to stick very well. I think it was just the oil holding it I ran my engine after the change and listened very carefully I didn't hear anythjng that didn't sound normal am I over thinking this or is it possible something is wrong I look at my dipstick time to time in between changing and I haven't seen anything abnormal