Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2014 Silverado AC Problems Already?

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2016, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Ainshent
Now I am certain this is not the absolute correct way to do this. I have read about flushing the system, adding oil .... etc. So I'm sure an A/C professional is going to come on here and try to take me away from my happy place. I'm good with that.

more than happy to.

-no reason to flush a system if your only replacing a condenser
-your accumulator desiccant was exposed to the atmosphere for an extended period. the desiccant in now moisture saturated. the accumulator should have been replaced.
-you did not pull a vacuum on the system. This leaves air and moisture in the system. the moisture will react with the refrigerant and form an acid; which will shorten the life of the compressor. air in the system raises operating pressures that reduces system efficiency.
-not adding pag oil. the oil level in the system must be balanced. each part when removed will have a volume of pag in it. Your system in now 2oz low on oil...starving the compressor.
-inaccurate charge method. today's charge levels are so small they need to be accurately filled to work correctly. if the system is overcharged the evaporator floods. if undercharged, the compressor is again starved of pag oil that moves in suspension with the refrigerant.
-filling your system with cocktail refrigerant...now, no shop who knows what they are doing will work on your system or they will contaminate their equipment

When the compressor fails in a year...blame gm.

Hey, its great you posted a fix which makes the forum work. you ensured the same problem will not happen to the condenser.
presumptuous to assume people getting sold compressors who don't need them.
Old June 12th, 2016, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
more than happy to.

-no reason to flush a system if your only replacing a condenser
-your accumulator desiccant was exposed to the atmosphere for an extended period. the desiccant in now moisture saturated. the accumulator should have been replaced.
-you did not pull a vacuum on the system. This leaves air and moisture in the system. the moisture will react with the refrigerant and form an acid; which will shorten the life of the compressor. air in the system raises operating pressures that reduces system efficiency.
-not adding pag oil. the oil level in the system must be balanced. each part when removed will have a volume of pag in it. Your system in now 2oz low on oil...starving the compressor.
-inaccurate charge method. today's charge levels are so small they need to be accurately filled to work correctly. if the system is overcharged the evaporator floods. if undercharged, the compressor is again starved of pag oil that moves in suspension with the refrigerant.
-filling your system with cocktail refrigerant...now, no shop who knows what they are doing will work on your system or they will contaminate their equipment

When the compressor fails in a year...blame gm.

Hey, its great you posted a fix which makes the forum work. you ensured the same problem will not happen to the condenser.
presumptuous to assume people getting sold compressors who don't need them.

As I stated in my previous post "I am no mechanic." That would seem to be abundantly clear at this point. Regardless, I will address these issues in an attempt to end up with a long term fix. Thank you for the educated thoughts on the subject.

-The accumulator desiccant being exposed to atmospheric moisture does indeed need to be replaced at this point. I checked into it and they seem to call it the "Drier/Dehydrator" and is located attached to the right side of the condenser. (part#:22996648). Not sure at this point if I would need to pull the radiator/condenser to replace the bag of desiccant. TBD.

-Yep, it seems air in the system due to not pulling a vacuum is problematic. Did some research on it and decided to pick up a set of gages and a vacuum pump for cheap on amazon. Both had many reviews from folks looking to do exactly what I need to do with much success. Certainly not professional tools but should suffice for home use. I have an 02 Silverado that needs some A/C work. Hopefully I'll be able to do something with that as well.

-You mentioned lost pag oil. How did you arrive at the 2oz number. I replaced a 2 foot compressor to condenser line in the system. I did see somewhere that replacing a condenser or compressor(if not pre-oiled) would need 2 oz. additional oil. Would I lose that much pag oil only replacing the 2 foot line?

Again, thank you for the thoughts and not beating me up too bad for my ignorance. With any luck this will be a learning experience and knowledge/information gained can be shared with others.
Old June 12th, 2016, 3:02 PM
Super Moderator

every component has a oil amount associated with it and the amount will be in service information for each vehicle...I thought you had replaced the condenser.
If you had a high pressure discharge a small volume of oil would be lost there but not 2oz...0.5 to 1oz maybe.

if your system uses a receiver/dryer instead of an accumulator the system uses a thermal expansion valve and not an orifice tube. Some think they are a better design and more accurately metered. I was not aware they made the change. some Asian companies use desiccant that can be recharged.

there is a company that has a compressor based device that is used to pull a vacuum. if you have an air compressor, it is a cheaper alternative. the more expensive vacuum pump is better but both work.

If you get gauges be aware that some companies are making a change to 1234yf refrigerant. So a kit with adapters may be something to consider.

Last edited by tech2; June 12th, 2016 at 3:04 PM.
Old June 17th, 2016, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 Chevy Silverado ac stopped working

We are on our first day of vacation in Florida and the ac has stopped working. We are in St. Petersburg but we live in Arlington Texas. My truck has 51000 miles so I will be using the extended warranty. Can someone point me in the right direction on a dealership to use in the Tampa Bay area?
Old June 21st, 2016, 7:22 AM
CF Beginner

I have encountered the same thing on my AC unit. First it seemed like it didnt cool as well but then it just went out. My luck , it went out 5,.000 after my 36000 warranty. The cost to repair from the GM dealer is $1800 . That is INSANE ! I am disgusted that it would not be covered under warranty especially since AC is not used EVERYTIME you drive your vehicle. It should have its own warranty, like 75,000 miles or 4 yrs or something. I really would love to see Chevy step up and cover their AC problems. ... even recognize that it may be a defective part & conduct a recall on it. That would be the best thing to do... guess they won't because it is not a danger.. just a HORRIBLE inconvenience.
I need Chevy to step up and cover this since it is within the 3 yrs but only 5.000 miles over warranty... I actually think the compressor was leaking a year before it went out because it blew warmer and warmer everytime I used it.... SUCKS !!!
Old June 21st, 2016, 8:47 PM
CF Veteran

so you noticed problems but never took it in? and its chevys fault?
Old June 22nd, 2016, 5:33 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
so you noticed problems but never took it in? and its chevys fault?
Hey Buddy, you missed the point. I don't use my AC all the time and it was months ago the last time I did. It was in hind sight that it wasn't as cool as it should be. Do you work for Chevy? Sounds like it! Sounds like maybe you're the type that needs help understanding things. Also sounds like you have WAY too much free time on your hands. 41000 miles on an AC UNIT , damn F'ING right it's Chevy's fault!!!!!!!!
Old June 22nd, 2016, 7:46 PM
Super Moderator

they sell a product that helps you......extended warranty. If you can't fix your vehicle; never drive one without warranty protection.
41000 - 36000 = you pay
wtf does it matter how much you use something or lack thereof regarding warranty period. How is that (a/c usage) measureable or even make sense?

Maybe there is a pattern failure, maybe not. No one here know's the incident rate or if its higher or lower than any other vehicle.

all you bitter betty's find each other but very few post anything, do anything to help each other. This is a repair forum, not anyway related to general motors. People who want help ask questions.

Last edited by tech2; June 22nd, 2016 at 7:54 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 8:18 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cwoodhall
Hey Buddy, you missed the point. I don't use my AC all the time and it was months ago the last time I did. It was in hind sight that it wasn't as cool as it should be. Do you work for Chevy? Sounds like it! Sounds like maybe you're the type that needs help understanding things. Also sounds like you have WAY too much free time on your hands. 41000 miles on an AC UNIT , damn F'ING right it's Chevy's fault!!!!!!!!

1. Your A/C compressor operates in defrost or any A/C setting which means I'm sure its ran more than you know.

2. I've worked for multiple dealers and independent repair, doesn't change my views or opinions, they are the same for anything. My new washing machine failed recently and it was 1 month out of warranty which means the manufacturer owes me nothing and I fixed it myself. I didn't cry or whine, sighed and sucked it up.

3. I understand lots and lots of things, things I've experienced trained for and am certified in that the general public has never had to deal with.

4. I'm not sure where you grew up or how you were raised but in my experiences the nicer and more civil you are the better chances you have of getting help. In numerous cases similar to this I've seen repairs "goodwilled" and fixed under warranty but they usually weren't people that caused a big scene and complained.

5. If you are unhappy with the work or dollar amount that dealer quoted there are other options to get it repaired. Also before the whole "maybe i'll just buy another brand" whirlwind starts let me assure you that ALL makes and models have issues if you don't believe me visit other forums and they are always filled with complaints also.
Old June 27th, 2016, 1:10 AM
CF Beginner

My 2014 truck had the AC go out a few days ago, this is the second time the hose from the compressor to the condenser is leaking. First time was February of 2015 and now June 2016 same exact problem. The first time my warranty covered the repair no problem but now my warranty is out and the dealer won't repair it. I even paid extra for an extended warranty which was supposed to be bumper to bumper but they are saying that hoses are considered wear and tear items which is BS.

I have been a die hard Chevy fan my whole life own Chevy stock and now I'm going to dodge. Went to two dodge dealers tonight shopping around for a new vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2014 Silverado AC Problems Already?