Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Erratic and poorly timed shifts

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2017, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Erratic and poorly timed shifts

I traded in my 2008 Silverado last August towards a 2016 Silverado LT. At 150k miles, the 2008 started to develop a hard 2-3 shift and sloppy downshifts.
The salesman assured me the 2016 Silverado was a whole new truck design and the 6l80 transmission would not have that issue. I've had it in the service dept a few times now, one being the first oil change service. I have complained about the erratic and poorly timed shifts and also the sloppy downshifts. All three times I've had it in for service they've looked in to it and decided that this is "normal". You'd think after a 100 years of building trucks, Chevrolet could get it right. The service adviser I had even said his own brother with the same truck had the same issue, but Chevrolet won't admit to the problem (this coming from the Chevrolet service adviser). I have two co-workers both with 2016 Chevy trucks (one a Silverado, one a Tahoe) and I've ridden in both and have not felt the sloppy shifts in either. They both have the 5.3 litre with the 6l80 transmission like I do. When will Chevrolet own up to what is wrong with my new truck? It mostly occurs during city driving, stop-and-go. I have always owned Chevrolet trucks - 1987 K-5 Blazer, 1994 Silverado z71, 1996 Silverado z71, 2008 Silverado LS, 2016 Silverado LT.
Unfortunately this issue is more than I want to deal with on a truck bought brand new with 74 miles on it. It now has 10,971 miles and it isn't getting any better. Maybe my "brand loyalty" has reached the end.
Anyone else have the same issue and what has been done to correct it?
Not sure if it's a transmission issue, an AFV issue, or a TPS issue. I just know it is an issue, Chevrolet knows about it, but claims it's normal.

Last edited by jbVMax; March 11th, 2017 at 8:37 AM.
Old March 14th, 2017, 6:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots and lots of people have had poor/erratic shifting in the 6 speeds. One way to get around it is to have it custom tuned and the shifting all cleaned up. Or I've read that you can push and hold the tow/haul button and the grade braking will deactivate and that will alleviate some of the issues.