Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

My dash controls ( speed O, tach, Gauges ) go dead intermittantly.... Help please.

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2016, 7:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My dash controls ( speed O, tach, Gauges ) go dead intermittantly.... Help please.

I just bought a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Duramax...I love the truck but wondered why it has had two owners. The last one only had it 2 months. While driving after we bought it with factory 36000 mile warranty already expired, The speed O and tach needle would loose power and start down toward 0... then it starts working again....it goes in and out over and over.... sometimes it causes the Trailer break system to throw a fault (with no trailer), the tire pressure will also fail and then come back online. also the blinker stops blinking in dash only... blinks fine in mirrors.. Then the next ten time I drive it it may be fine then it does it again... it only "fixes " itself if you turn it off and let it set. Seems like a loose connection... but bumps do not seem to effect it. Has anyone else had this problem. We have always had Fords....thought we would give Chevy a try.... hope we didn't go wrong..... Thanks for your help.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 12:25 PM
CF Beginner

Don't discount the condition of the battery or the cable connections to the battery. Modern electronics are very voltage sensitive, much more than the engine starting process.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks.....you are the second person I have heard this from......I will clean them today..... they look fine but you never know.
Old December 27th, 2016, 8:38 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by patraney
I just bought a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Duramax...I love the truck but wondered why it has had two owners. The last one only had it 2 months. While driving after we bought it with factory 36000 mile warranty already expired, The speed O and tach needle would loose power and start down toward 0... then it starts working again....it goes in and out over and over.... sometimes it causes the Trailer break system to throw a fault (with no trailer), the tire pressure will also fail and then come back online. also the blinker stops blinking in dash only... blinks fine in mirrors.. Then the next ten time I drive it it may be fine then it does it again... it only "fixes " itself if you turn it off and let it set. Seems like a loose connection... but bumps do not seem to effect it. Has anyone else had this problem. We have always had Fords....thought we would give Chevy a try.... hope we didn't go wrong..... Thanks for your help.
Hello patraney,

We're very sorry to hear about the speedometer and gauge concerns you're experiencing with your truck, as we can understand how frustrating this can be. Have you had this checked out by a GM dealership yet? As our team is not technically trained, we rely heavily on our dealer technicians to provide all diagnostic information. If you're interested in a diagnosis at your dealership, please let us know and we would be more than happy to assist in setting up an appointment for you.

Sincerely,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 27th, 2016, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your concern....BUT.... I did not buy a CHEVROLET product to have to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars to work on it right off the bat.... Is this a free diagnostics.... if so I will schedule it....I have always been a Ford guy..... now I'm thinking of dumping this like the other two guys did and get a dependable truck.........
Old December 29th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by patraney
Thanks for your concern....BUT.... I did not buy a CHEVROLET product to have to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars to work on it right off the bat.... Is this a free diagnostics.... if so I will schedule it....I have always been a Ford guy..... now I'm thinking of dumping this like the other two guys did and get a dependable truck.........
Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are vendors on the site and have years of experience working on instrument clusters. We can't do diagnostics without seeing and testing a cluster but we want to help out if we can. Here is a link to our diagnostics service:

Gauge Cluster, Speedometer, Lexus SC300 SC400 ECU Diagnosis Repair Service

Feel free to also give us a call today with any questions. We can hopefully save you tons of money and time and get this cluster back to working order in no time.

Looking forward to talking with you at your earliest convenience,