Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

New Member, moving looking into getting new truck

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2017, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member, moving looking into getting new truck

Hello, new to the forum looking for some advise. Currently I am 20 and live in New Jersey(South), and have a 2014 mustang. My birthday is in March so I am looking into getting a new vehicle. At the same time I am also planning to move to Denver, Colorado within the next year or so. I know it snows in Colorado but not sure about the city. I've been looking at the 2016 2500hd duramax. I've always wanted a truck but haven't really had a reason to get one. Not sure if it's a good choice for moving out there or not. I've also been looking into getting a charger hellcat as long as weather permits. I will be putting down about half on the car/truck and financing the rest. Girlfriend is okay with the truck, said it is a little unnecessary but that's okay, but got a little mad about the hellcat and asked why I needed that.
Old January 21st, 2017, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Correct to assume you are looking at the 2500 instead of the 1500 because of the diesel engine? Otherwise, the 2500HD would be way more truck than you might need. What would you be planning to tow regularly?
Old January 29th, 2017, 12:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, unless you are wanting the ability to haul pretty heavy or tow frequently, a 2500 might be overkill. Especially the Dmax version. There is a lot of details that one needs to be aware of in running a diesel, especially the newer emissions laden ones. If you are bound and determined to go diesel, consider the Colorado/Canyon pickups with the 2.8L diesel. It should be a reliable platform since it is based on the proven VM Motori 2.8L inline 4 diesel. Or, there is the Nissan Tundra with the 5.0L Cummins diesel in it. I am not convinced it is fully reliable yet, but the Ram 1500 with the diesel is an option also. A 2500 with a Dmax is pretty extreme unless you are doing some major work on a regular basis. I do work mine often, but I opted for the 6.0L gasser in my 2500 and have no regrets.
Old January 30th, 2017, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

As far as advice, I would advise you not to get a 2500 gas or diesel unless you tow or haul regularly. Towing say a small trailer and thinking about a couple loads of stone or dirt a year does not warrant a 3/4 ton truck. A colorado/canyon diesel looks like it will tow a respectable trailer (7600lbs max) and if u need a load of anything a $35 delivery charge on occasion will be far cheaper than the upfront expense and day to day expense of a gas or diesel 3/4 ton. I personally traded my 2014 sierra 2500hd last year, going back to a 1/2 ton because i could not fully justify the 3/4 ton. It got 14 mpg on its best day. I think with the midsize diesels colorado/canyon, the pros are styling, sporty handling, and gas mileage (up to 30mpg I believe). The cons are lack of interior space , bed space, and overall stability. For example, if u have children or plan on them, car seats don't fit ideally in a truck that size. Also you will not be able to lay plywood or drywall flat in the bed if that matters to you. And I feel a full size holds the road better due to a wider, longer wheelbase. I personally prefer a full size half ton as it fits all of the people i need it to comfortably, tows what i need it to, and i can haul any kind of lumber i have needed to. I have the stone and dirt delivered now. Ultimately, it comes down to your needs in the truck. As far as the hellcat, I cannot comment as I am not by any means a car guy. Maybe someone else can help you there.