Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Upgrade to replace factory HID headlights on 2016 LT?

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2016, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade to replace factory HID headlights on 2016 LT?

I'm very disappointed with the HID headlights in my '16 Silverado LT, I drive a lot at night and even with the LED fog lamps on (which help a lot on low beams) it still isn't really safe to drive in rural areas.

Been doing some research, but other than some 35 Watt bulbs from Australia (yeah right) I'm finding nothing for an upgrade.

I really don't want to start hanging aftermarket driving lights on a 4 month old truck either.

The local dealer accessories guy is telling me to put in Putco Silverlux, but after checking with Putco I found they don't make lights for the '16s...only the older trucks. So obviously the dealer guy is not up on this subject.

Any suggestions are welcome?

Thank you!

Doc
Old December 3rd, 2016, 9:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you might want to check the bulb. Unless you have a high end trim level they use hid lens but install a halogen bulb. Since its hid ready, buy a hid bulb and ballast kit and install it.
Old December 4th, 2016, 7:34 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
you might want to check the bulb. Unless you have a high end trim level they use hid lens but install a halogen bulb. Since its hid ready, buy a hid bulb and ballast kit and install it.
The entry level 2016 has HID (High Intensity Discharge) projector headlights, even on the WT model. They are NOT projector-beam with halogen bulbs. They are HID. The upper end models are not HID but are LED headlights.

Last edited by Duug4; December 4th, 2016 at 4:10 PM.
Old December 4th, 2016, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

These are HID, D5S 25 watt bulbs.

This truck is a LT, are the LED headlights on (I would assume) the LTX any better?

If so, I would assume they could be retrofitted to an LT?

Doc
Old December 4th, 2016, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

The WT, LS, Custom, and LT use the HID projector (NOT LED) headlights . The LTZ and High Country use the LED headlights and also have LED front signal lights. It would be likely that fitting the LED headlights (and taillights) from the LTZ would require at least coding to work on a LT.

The LED headlight units are completely different than the HID units, so it is not just a bulb change.

Last edited by Duug4; December 4th, 2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old December 4th, 2016, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Duug4
The WT, LS, Custom, and LT use the HID projector (NOT LED) headlights . The LTZ and High Country use the LED headlights and also have LED front signal lights. It would be likely that fitting the LED headlights (and taillights) from the LTZ would require at least coding to work on a LT.

The LED headlight units are completely different than the HID units, so it is not just a bulb change.

Will have to check into that....

I'm guessing that it won't be too long before the aftermarket catches up with an upgrade too....I'm sure I'm not the only one complaining.

Thanks for the info guys!

Doc
Old December 4th, 2016, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Well, all I can say that the HID headlights on my 2017 WT are great and not substandard in any way. Just lacks the active self leveling and turning functions of my new VW, which, quite frankly is overkill.

I will have to say that I don't use my pickup for +150 mph Autobahn runs......

Last edited by Duug4; December 4th, 2016 at 1:55 PM.
Old December 4th, 2016, 2:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

The entry level 2016 has HID (High Intensity Discharge) projector headlights, even on the WT model. The are NOT projector-beam with halogen bulbs. They are HID. The upper end models are not HID but are LED headlights.
good to see they made some upgrades since 2014. when the new bodystyle first came out the were hid lenses with halogen bulbs...people were complaining all the time.
Old December 4th, 2016, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Well, all I can say that the HID headlights on my 2017 WT are great and not substandard in any way. Just lacks the active self leveling and turning functions of my new VW, which, quite frankly is overkill.

I will have to say that I don't use my pickup for +150 mph Autobahn runs......

No 150 mph runs, but with an 80 mph speed limit here on interstates in rural areas....they really are marginal.

Again - thank you for insight and info, it is much appreciated!

Doc
Old November 9th, 2022, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with my 2015 2500HD LT. Any recent improvements? Or maybe my 7 year old lamps just need replacing?