Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Yet another 2010 Equinox burning oil and stalling!

Old June 15th, 2012, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another 2010 Equinox burning oil and stalling!

We purchased my 2010 Equinox 1LT AWD in November 2009 and I've been very happy with the vehicle until around 5 months ago when my engine woes began. I can see from a quick Google that I'm far from alone in this, and I'm wondering if anyone has gotten a positive resolution from GM on it?

At around 32K miles the engine started running rough and loud (it sounds like an old diesel!), the tach would surge and the car would shake at stoplights when in gear with my foot on the brake (if I shift it into neutral the surging eases), and then in short order the engine started randomly stalling/dying on me at stops and mid-turn. My check engine light came on, I took it in, and the dealership told me that I had an issue with a cam follower. Since I was close to being due for an oil change they did that too, but did not mention the engine oil being particularly low.

At 34K miles (around 2 months later), the problem came back, this time with no CEL. I brought it to the same dealership and was told by the tech and service advisor that I was low on oil and they had to add 4 quarts! The problems immediately went away with the addition. I asked how the hell my engine could be burning/leaking that much oil in such a short time and they admitted they were baffled as well. They said that if the problem recurred they'd recommend an oil consumption test.

You guessed it - at 36,200 miles this behavior started up again suddenly again with no CEL. I was thinking that it'd be my crummy luck to have it recur right after my warranty ran out and of course that's exactly what happened. I checked my oil just now and the damned dipstick is DRY. I guess I'm headed to the store at lunch to buy a couple of quarts of 5W-30.

I park in the same area of our driveway at home and in the same parking space each day at work, and there has never been so much as a drop of oil on the ground - 4 quarts should make a big puddle if it's leaking. I can only assume the engine is burning oil in a big way. I suspect that the dealership waited it out until they knew my car would be off warranty and they could charge us for what I'm sure will be a costly repair. It hasn't been 36 months yet but we are past 36K miles.

I guess it's time for an oil consumption test at the stealership, but have any other Equinox owners gotten past that and found out what the actual problem is? Does the powertrain warranty cover whatever has to be done?

I have to say that I love my Equinox as a car, aside from these issues. It's roomy, it handles nicely, it's a great family vehicle. What terrifies me is the engine stalling the way it does with no warning - we have a toddler who rides with me daily and my heart jumps into my throat every time we stall, especially when our daughter is in the car.
Old June 15th, 2012, 2:15 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ks430,

I'm sorry to hear of this issue with your Equinox vehicle. Have you contacted Customer Service regarding this issue? If you need additional assistance, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old August 21st, 2012, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

I'm at the dealership right now for an oil change and the start of an oil consumption test. It's beyond unacceptable for a car with less than 40K miles on it to have these kinds of issues. Very disappointed in the dealership - they are not being proactive about this, likely because I didn't buy the car here. I've read that there's now a service bulletin out from GM on these engine issues for the Terrain and Equinox, but they never mentioned it (#PIP 5025: Excessive Oil Consumption Inspect Cylinder Walls (May 16, 2012) Document ID: 2857121). I will ask the service advisor about this bulletin before I leave today and see what he says.

I have a coworker with an identical 1LT that's 6 weeks newer than mine and had the same problems starting at around the same time. His dealership has already fixed everything under his powertrain warranty. Maybe I should have gone there, but it's a 45+ minute drive each way.

This is a SAFETY issue and GM is dragging their feet. I drive with our 2 year old in the car on a daily basis. GM can rest assured that if we get in an accident because the Equinox stalls suddenly in traffic, we will be exploring legal action.

My husband is currently car shopping and no way in hell would we consider a Malibu or Cruze after this mess. My grandfather was an engineer for GM his entire career, and he would be ashamed of this poor powertrain quality. I am a mechanical engineer and find this level of quality abysmal; if my team produced something with this kind of latent defect, heads would roll. I love everything else about the Equinox but these engine problems are deeply frustrating.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 1:22 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ks430
I'm at the dealership right now for an oil change and the start of an oil consumption test. It's beyond unacceptable for a car with less than 40K miles on it to have these kinds of issues. Very disappointed in the dealership - they are not being proactive about this, likely because I didn't buy the car here. I've read that there's now a service bulletin out from GM on these engine issues for the Terrain and Equinox, but they never mentioned it (#PIP 5025: Excessive Oil Consumption Inspect Cylinder Walls (May 16, 2012) Document ID: 2857121). I will ask the service advisor about this bulletin before I leave today and see what he says.

I have a coworker with an identical 1LT that's 6 weeks newer than mine and had the same problems starting at around the same time. His dealership has already fixed everything under his powertrain warranty. Maybe I should have gone there, but it's a 45+ minute drive each way.

This is a SAFETY issue and GM is dragging their feet. I drive with our 2 year old in the car on a daily basis. GM can rest assured that if we get in an accident because the Equinox stalls suddenly in traffic, we will be exploring legal action.

My husband is currently car shopping and no way in hell would we consider a Malibu or Cruze after this mess. My grandfather was an engineer for GM his entire career, and he would be ashamed of this poor powertrain quality. I am a mechanical engineer and find this level of quality abysmal; if my team produced something with this kind of latent defect, heads would roll. I love everything else about the Equinox but these engine problems are deeply frustrating.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ks430,

Please keep us posted. Feel free to contact me privately if needed.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:00 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Angry 2010 Equinox LS JUNK

I such as sveral other people on here have experienced several if not more of the same issues regarding rattling, stalling, burning excessive oil, timing chains(2), and fuel pump.

I am currently at 62000 kms and am ready to drop the vehicle off at GM's front door in Oshawa and leave them the keys.

In the past 4 months, I have had to replace two timing chains, and a fuel pump. In the last visit for another rattling session, I was advised that the oil resevoir was bone dry and that this was the cause for the rattling. Justifyably so, but where is the oil going and why is it burning off so quick.

In contacting General Motors Customer Service and explaing my issues thoroughly in frustration, I was later advised by the GM Customer Service department that their leagl department had looked into and found that this is normal for the equinox to be burning excessive oil and that it is the rsponsability of the owner to check the vehicles oil level on a regular basis to maintain it. A baffling question that I received form CS is "what would you like us to do"? What the hell kind of CS is that? I receive better CS at WALMART!

The dealership owner at Budds Chevrolet in Oakville ONT was willing to get me into a better vehicle but it was going to cost me even more money per month in which I told him flat out that I was not spening another dime more than what I am paying now.

To shorten it up, it has been about 3 weeks since I have been out of the shop with the replacement of my last Timing chain and the rattle continues. Checked the oil today being at a usage of 1250 kms and the oil seems normal yet the rattling continues.

I am sick of owning and driving a vehicle that is listed on paper as a 2010 yet sounds and runs like a 1976 Mercedes Diesel.

At the end of the conversation with Crystal from GM CS, I advised her in the most direct way I could by saying "GM can take their junk and shove it" and guaranteed them that they would never see me again as a GM customer!
Old October 19th, 2012, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

My 2010 Equinox just came back from the garage cylinders one and four had zebra striping in the cylinders(out of round cylinders) just had a new engine installed all 4cyl. equinox have this problem they should recall them and fix them. the only good thing is mine was under warranty.

Last edited by alvinlake; October 19th, 2012 at 9:50 PM.
Old November 28th, 2012, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

My 2010 Equinox at 143000 KM finally had to go back to the dealer- 2 oils consumption tests revealed a serious issue. 5-6 liters between oil changes. Running rough and noisy. Lots of highway miles!.
So.. zebra (they called it tiger) stripes on all cylinders so the motor is pooched!
Another observation by the mechanic was the valves were VERY carboned up to the point that the pistons were making contact with the deposits- hence the noise.
Another severe symptom was that the engine always had rattling (bad pinging) which was confirmed by the mechanic as all the carbon deposits caused by the oil burning was detonating and pinging badly.
Not impressed, my last GM a 1998 grand am snapped the camshaft at 140K km and by the time I shut it off the engine was toast due to no drive to the oil pump.
Sorry GM you have failed Huge! Never again. Why have you not owned up and recalled these vehicles- BTW the dealer confirmed the rings are upside down!- NICE!
Old December 7th, 2012, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

I just happened to Google 2010 Chevrolet Equinox problems and stumbled upon this forum.

Just wanted to let everyone else know that we bought our 2010 Equinox brand new and have had no problems with it up until a couple months ago, around the 80,000kms mark.

It sounded like a diesel when we started it and it idled really rough, it also jerked quite a bit when taking off or slowing down, it was also burning oil like crazy. I commute from Barrie to Mississauga every day and my husband would literally refill the oil twice a week. The engine light came on around 80,000kms so we took it in to our dealership (New Roads in Newmarket, absolutely the best customer service at any dealer I've ever had). They repaired something like a timing chain (if I remember correctly) in the engine which was covered under the warranty.

About a week after, the same problems came back. I kept driving it this way and at my next oil change I mentioned it to the service advisor but they didn't do anything at that time.

Fast forward to 95,000kms, my service Stabilitrack message comes on along with 2 warning lights, one for ABS and the other the red exlamation point. So I bring it in and tell them of the issue and also tell the same service advisor again that its burning oil like crazy and running rough, etc.

They kept my car for the day, gave me a loaner and called me later in the afternoon. I got a brand new engine covered under the warranty!!! The service advisor told me that there is a defect in the 2010 engines which causes them to burn oil!

So that was the good news, bad news was that I needed to replace 2 bearings, have the roaters machined, brake and transmission fuel flushed all for a nice grand total of $1800.00 just before x-mas! happy holidays from Chevrolet, lmao!

Oh well, at least my car is safe now and pretty much brand new!

I cannot say enough about this dealership. We live in Barrie and I drive to Newmarket to have my service done all the time!
Old January 1st, 2014, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

I own a 2010 GM Terrain 6 cylinder (my wife's car) and am having the same oil consumption problem as the previous posters. We just took it in for service and advised that our vehicle only has approximately 40,000 miles on it and is consuming a quart and a half of oil every 3,000 miles. There are no external signs of leakage and no blue smoke when starting. I first noticed the excessive oil usage about a year ago when I checked her oil and saw that it was down 2 quarts.
I was not encouraged yesterday when the mechanic told me this was acceptable consumption. I told him that a little 4 cylinder should not be consuming oil like a big block V-8! Fortunately we have an extended warranty and I will push to make sure this gets fixed, even if it means them putting in a new motor. I have owned GM products since I started driving and have never had a even a V-8 vehicle use oil like this. Buying an extra two quarts of oil takes away from the money we were saving in good fuel mileage.
Old January 6th, 2014, 8:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

took my 10 equinox 4 cyl in for oil change 40 k miles told dealer wanted to start oil consumption test was told oil change would take 45 minutes 1 1/2 hours later went to check what was taking so long they were setting me up with a rental car will pull motor and repair will update asap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yet another 2010 Equinox burning oil and stalling!