Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 30th, 2015, 8:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

99 Tahoe trailer plug, 4way to 7way

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2008, 8:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Tahoe trailer plug, 4way to 7way

I'm trying to figure out what I need to install my 7 way into my Tahoe. I got a 4way at the hitch. Bought a Prodigy brake controller that I need to install. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 7th, 2008, 9:13 AM
CF Veteran

Default RE: 99 Tahoe trailer plug, 4way to 7way

take a look in your owner's manual ,there will be either a harness taped up back along the frame on the driver's side ,or a harness back neer the spaire tire with a plastic plug with a cap pushed in it wbout the size of a half dollar that you can plug in a factory type sealed 7 wireplug . check this out .http://www.etrailer.com/faq_brakecon...ne=yes#confirm
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

try this its from my 97 factory manual, the 99 should be the same..

[IMG]local://upfiles/17388/0FF1B1A868FA49C58C14DEFFA1E3AAEE.jpg[/IMG]
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:32 AM
CF Junior Member

How do I know if the car is equipped with factory towing package?
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:37 AM
CF Junior Member

I have a 4way plug by the spare tire that connects to the 4way I have at the hitch. By the connection at the spare tire there are some wires taped to it and it reads "Disconnect battery before removing tape around wires". Are these wires what I need to connect the brake controller, or do I have to run the brake controller wire and battery?

Thanks!
Old August 17th, 2008, 2:06 PM
e
CF Senior Member

There should be two wires tape up. Orange and Blue These are the colors on the trucks so it might be the same. In2pro's diagram shows red so it might be red.....
Open the hood, look around the brake booster and you should see these same wires. Confirm these and I will continue.....
Old August 17th, 2008, 5:53 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: e

There should be two wires tape up. Orange and Blue These are the colors on the trucks so it might be the same. In2pro's diagram shows red so it might be red.....
Open the hood, look around the brake booster and you should see these same wires. Confirm these and I will continue.....
You're right. i did locate the same two wires taped up under the hood behind and under the brake booster. I think it's blue and red. Awaiting more advice
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:44 PM
e
CF Senior Member

The blue is for the feed from the brake controller. This needs to connect directly to the output of the controller. NO fuse!!!!

The red wire will be for the battery tow charge line. This goes to the battery or you can connect to the driverside fuse block. There is a 12v stud that you can use. You must put a circuit breaker or fuse on this feed if you going to use it. I would highly recommened using the breaker over the fuse. A 40 amp would be the biggestI would use and 30 amp being the lowest.

Now inside the truck you need to mount the controller, the brake input feed to the controller will need to come from the white wire at the brake switch. Connect the Brake output to the Blue wire from under the hood. Your power and ground for the brake controller needs to go to the battery. No shortcuts here. (Well technically you can go to the driverside fuse block as well.)Besure to ground to the battery and put a circuit breaker on the power wire near the battery. This needs to be a 20 amp.

Outback you can use the Left/Right/Tail from the 4way at the bumper. I highly recommened using at least a 12g wire for the ground. The ground on the 4way is not large enough to handle the current. So with these 4 and the red and blue from the harness this makes 6. The 7th wire will be light green at the tail lamp which will be the reverse.

And of course all standard install practices should be followed. It your not fimilar with these then I would recommened letting a suitable shop do this........let me know if you have any other questions....
Old August 18th, 2008, 1:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks! Great help!