Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

2001 Silverado Heater Core

Old November 20th, 2008, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Silverado Heater Core

Can anybody send me instructions on how to replace a heater core on a 2001 Silverado?
Old November 20th, 2008, 9:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2001 Silverado Heater Core

go here:
http://www.autozone.com/addVehicleId...00c152801c9bf9
and click on heater core. i can't log in, maybe you have better luck.
or
LIBRARY/ Chilton.
Old November 21st, 2008, 4:13 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 2001 Silverado Heater Core

I hope you have a strong technical background and a good memory of where bolts and panels came from. The entire dash needs to come out of the vehicle. I'll post instructions below....

Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement

[ol]Caution:Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.
Caution:This vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause the following conditions: [align=left]

Air bag deployment[/align][align=left]

Personal injury[/align][align=left]

Unnecessary SIR system repairs[/align]In order to avoid the above conditions, observe the following guidelines: [align=left]

Refer to SIR Component Views in order to determine if you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring.[/align][align=left]

If you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System.[/align]

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the I/P trim pad. Refer to Instrument Panel Upper Trim Pad Replacement .
Remove the center console, if equipped. Refer to Console Replacement .
Remove the I/P extension, if equipped. Refer to Instrument Panel Extension Replacement .
Remove the driver side knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement .
Remove the lower I/P trim panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Lower Trim Panel Replacement .
Remove the passenger side air bag module. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Instrument Panel Module Replacement in SIR.
Remove the radio. Refer to Radio Replacement in Entertainment.
Remove the HVAC control. Refer to HVAC Control Module Replacement in HVAC Systems-Manual or Automatic.
Remove the accessory switch housing. Refer to Accessory Switch Replacement .
Remove the left air louver housing. Refer to Instrument Panel Outer Air Outlet Deflector Replacement - Left Side in Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning.
Remove the steering column. Refer to Steering Column Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column.
Remove the VIU, if equipped. Refer to OnStar Vehicle Interface Unit Replacement in Cellular Communication.
Remove the VCU, if equipped. Refer to OnStar Vehicle Communication Unit Replacement in Cellular Communication.
Remove the remote control door lock receiver module, if equipped. Refer to Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Replacement in Keyless Entry.
Remove the data link connector from the I/P. Refer to Data Link Connector Replacement in Data Link Communications.
Remove the park brake release lever from the I/P. Refer to Parking Brake Release Handle Assembly Replacement in Park Brake.
Remove the I/P cluster. Refer to Instrument Cluster Replacement .
Remove both front window air duct from the I/P assembly.
Remove the harness from the I/P. Refer to Instrument Panel Electrical Center or Junction Block Replacement in Wiring Systems.

Remove the I/P assembly retaining bolts (3) and nuts (4).
Remove all harness hold down retainers from the I/P assembly.
Remove the I/P assembly from the vehicle.

Remove the I/P upper brackets.
Disconnect all the electrical connectors from the wiring harness junction block. Refer to Instrument Panel Electrical Center or Junction Block Replacement in Wiring Systems.
Remove the transfer case control module from the bracket, if equipped. Refer to Transfer Case Shift Control Module Replacement in Transfer Case NV6 246 - NP8.
Remove the antenna cable from the cross car duct.
Remove the cross car duct. Refer to Air Distributor Duct Replacement in Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning.
Remove the amplifier, if equipped. Refer to Radio Speaker Amplifier Replacement in Entertainment.
Separate the I/P harness from the carrier.
Do not remove the I/P harness from the vehicle.

If replacing the HVAC module, remove the right side of the carrier from the vehicle to gain access to the module.

Remove the I/P center support bracket bezel(1).

Important:Remove all of the parts of the I/P carrier assembly from the vehicle as 1 unit.
Remove the I/P center support bracket bolt.

Remove the I/P carrier side bolts.
The left side is shown, the right side is similar

Remove the I/P carrier top bolts(1).

Remove the I/P carrier(1) from the vehicle. [/ol]

Heater/Vent Module Replacement [/align][/align]
Removal Procedure
[ol]Drain the engine coolant. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling in Engine Cooling.
If equipped remove the auxiliary battery. Refer to Auxiliary Battery Replacement in Engine Electrical.
Disconnect the heater hoses. Refer to the following procedures: [align=left]

Heater Inlet Hose Replacement [/align][align=left]

Heater Outlet Hose Replacement [/align]Remove the accumulator. Refer to Air Conditioning Accumulator Replacement .
Remove the instrument panel carrier. Refer to Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.
Remove the HVAC module drain hose.

Disconnect the electrical harnesses and the ground connections as needed.

Remove the HVAC module mounting nuts and the screws.
Remove the HVAC module assembly from the vehicle. [/ol][/align]
Heater Core Replacement [/align][/align]
Removal Procedure
[ol]Remove the heater/vent module. Refer to Heater/Vent Module Replacement .
Remove the heater core cover screws.

Remove the heater core cover.

Remove the heater core. [/ol][/align]
Old October 20th, 2011, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

Hello All, I just completed this job with the help of several posts. The only item that I had trouble with was none of the posts explained that when replacing the heater core, it is way easier to cut/score the tubes at the fire wall (and break them off) rather than battle the "quick-disconnect" heater hose connections. Two new connections, which I would strongly suggest replacing anyway, cost $12 at most any auto supply store. In speaking with several Chevrolet mechanics, this is the way they all do it in practice anyway. I hope this helps someone else. Keep these Chevy's on the road! -Greg
Old October 21st, 2011, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2000 silverado had to replace mine also last year about october . Big job but from what i hear its common .
Old October 21st, 2011, 10:40 PM
CF Beginner

The dash does not have to come all the way out. Just did it last weekend. Took 7 hrs +- look at youtube video GMC Truck Heater Core Replacement 2000 Sierra Silverado - YouTube
Old November 4th, 2011, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default Great post, very helpful, thanks

great info and pics to boot
Old February 27th, 2015, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Hello all,
I have a question pertaining to the heater core replacement. I have been told but am not sure as to whether or not i have to drain my ac condensor. Please help and thank you.