Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

'01 Astro interior air ventilation system

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2008, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Astro interior air ventilation system

hey, does anyone know anything about the 2001 astro passenger van (LS 4.3 AWL) air vent system? a shuttle driver of an astro van told me to turn on DEFROST at HIGH setting to recirculate interior air (without drawing in outside air). then, i was unable to get any dash vents or other vents to work! even air conditioning would only blow onto windshield! no matter what variations done of the control panel dial, only air blows on windshield through the windshield vents! is this a fuse?
i heard the sound of a baffle or vaneaudibly turning/closing upon running defrost at HIGH. did some directional baffle/vane close or otherwise reposition, not allowing air to resume its normal pathway?
opinions are welcome, since i am about to take it to my local mechanic, and he initially did not know the answer to this strange occurrence.
thanks, SDCA_Paul
Old March 31st, 2008, 6:12 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: '01 Astro interior air ventilation system

sounds like the vacuum source for the hvac system is either broken, leaking, or has come unplugged. With out vacuum, the system default to the windshield so you can still see while your driving
Old April 4th, 2008, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: '01 Astro interior air ventilation system

hi, shawnvw: yes, i think you're correct, and i took it in to a reputable mechanic yesterday. today, they called me confirming what you suggest and what i had researched a few days ago. and i do really appreciate your confimation of this! have a great day!
Old October 23rd, 2010, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Bringing back an old thread here but..

I have the same problem. The air only blows onto the windshield and to the floor no matter which setting I set the air conditioner (a/c) to.

I want to diagnose this and fix it myself. Where is the first place I should check to see if a vacuum hose has come undone?
Old October 23rd, 2010, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

NVM! I just fixed it! Wow this forum IS useful lol

It was a broken vacuum hose underneath the throttle body. I hooked it up with the corresponding tube and it worked.