Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

96 4.3 over heating

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2015, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 4.3 over heating

Good afternoon,
Recently while my bride was driving her old trusty Astro van she noticed the temp gauge rapidly rising. she pulled over and turned of the van and called me. When I got to her 30 minutes later I filled the empty radiator back up, checked the oil and it was clean and still looked great. I drove it home 10 miles and she did not notice any smoke from the tail pipe. The next day I re-checked the oil and it was very High and Milky brown. I immediately changed the oil and filter. I added a bottle of Blue Devil head gasket sealer according to the direction and ran the van with no noted additional anti freeze in the oil. The next day I checked the anti freeze level and again it was very low and again the oil was milky, not as bad as before but still milky. I again changed the oil and filter. So the question is do I have a bad intake gasket or a bad head gasket?
Old November 26th, 2015, 7:25 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a bad intake gasket,the vortec engines were known for bad intake gaskets.whats happening is coolant is leaking into the intake and mixing with the engine oil. you should have the intake gasket replaced.don,t wait to long because coolant doesn,t mix very well with the bearings and other moving parts in the engine.usally when the oil is starting to get milky due to coolant leaking into the engine,it,s a good idea to flush out the milky oil out of the engine while it,s apart and the gaskets are being replaced.it,s also a good idea to replace the oil after running the engine for a bit.this will help flush out more contaminents out of the engine.hope this helps.