Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

96 Astro Van Fuel Injection Too Rich

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2011, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Astro Van Fuel Injection Too Rich

My 96 Astro van has 140K miles and runs to rich. Smoke out tail pipe, fouls plugs, hesitates and sputters. I have had a compression check, all fine, new plugs, new distributor, plug wires, spent over $800 already. Does anyone have the correct answer to solve this problem? I live on Kauai and this is my work truck. We are limited as to good mechanics on the island. Any help would be appreciated.

Mahalo
Old April 10th, 2011, 6:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Your vehicle is OBD-II compliant and thus you need to get a hold of a good OBD-II scanner, something that can read out freeze frame data and snapshots. I'm seeing some decent Equus units on Amazon being discounted to sub-$200. Without somethings like that, you'll inevitably waste money throwing wrong parts at the problem.
Old April 11th, 2011, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks very much! Shouldn't the mechanic have this? To be perfectly honest, I have no idea what OBDII compliant is. The engine light is on, is that the same scanner for that?
Old April 11th, 2011, 5:15 PM
CF Veteran

A dealership service department would have the Tech 2 scan tool that does practically everything but make breakfast. A mechanic should have something similar. Now, if you're as green with OBD-II as you claim and your mechanic seems lost, find another mechanic or, better yet, take it to a dealership service department. You're risking further damage by dillydallying.
Old April 11th, 2011, 9:38 PM
CF Beginner

I talked to the mechanic and he does have this scanner. The message was 'multiple engine misfire'. He said it's a process of elimination which is a big labor cost for me. He put in a distributor but then took it out as that wasn't the problem. He said next he will try a 'crank angle sensor'. Nothing has 'told' him why the fuel is dumping. I have already invested so much money with this guy I hate to start over with another garage.
Old April 11th, 2011, 9:52 PM
CF Veteran

Okay, then, see if you can post the freeze frame data that goes with that P0300 code. Or, ask him to check the knock sensor if there is unusual ignition timing retardation going on. I've seen more than once the knock sensor being the cause of the mysterious timing retardation and fuel dumping.
Old April 12th, 2011, 7:32 AM
CF Active Member

Was it a new distributor, or just a cap and rotor? Inspect the gear on the distributor for wear.

The P0300 is also a result of gummed upped fuel injectors. Try a Seafoam treatment or two. If that fails, GM has some stronger stuff called GM Fuel System Treatment Plus.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. We FINALLY got the right fix after many hours and dollars. Hope the answer helps someone else. Wait for it.....
THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR was leaking internally.

So there it is. Mahalo and good luck.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 8:56 PM
CF Veteran

Congrats. Thanks for the update.