Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

97 Astro sliding door stuck closed

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2009, 2:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 97 Astro sliding door stuck closed

Looking for help on my sliding door and this sounds like the place. The door on the van had been getting difficult to close. It slide easily enough but the latch wouldn't catch. For a while we found we could push up and in to get it to latch. But the other day, after getting it to latch we found we couldn't get it to open. Leaning against it from the inside while pulling the release doesn't do it.

Any suggestions? Assuming this is related to the original problem how do I go about adjusting the door so it sits higher and engages the latch properly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 1Gary
It does sound like the slider rollers are worn and it is hanging off the latch.Suggest you replace the rollers.
I'll try to check them. Any good links or web references that talk about how to get at them?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:49 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the comments. We got the rollers greased which helped, but we found the real problem was that the striker on the back door frame was bent inward. On closer inspection the sheet metal was slightly torn. We bent the striker back out a bit with a crowbar and the door latches like a champ. Don't know how long it will continue to work with the weakened sheet metal but I'm in business for now.....