Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Backyard mechanic needs help

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2008, 10:18 AM
vee
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backyard mechanic needs help

Guess my last post was a bit misleading and evidently a bo-bo.

I have a project 88 Astro I’m trying to rewire.

I am at the point of hooking up the ignition and stumped.

I am lost as to which ignition wires connect to start and operate the rebuilt engine without the use of a column yet.

I can post detailed photographs of what my restoration is, a picture of the steering column missing, the steering column terminal that is I think is the ignition wires, and pictures of my wiring harness that is not completely hooked up, along with the stripped out interior of the project.

Would this help in verifying that my assistance is greatly needed?
Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Backyard mechanic needs help

Pictures not necessary. You don't indicate if you are using the stock engine or an old school V8 (no computer), etc. Assuming you are using the stock engine with a computer, all of your sensors must also be properly connected and wired for this to work. You then must fashion a means of applying +12v to the RUN wire, and momentarily applying +12v to theSTART wire. Be sure to use atleast 12AWG wire. Your local library most likely has an account withALLDATA.COM,which would be a great means of identifying connectors and getting wiring diagrams.I believe that GM now offers factory manuals on CD; for a project like yours, a factory service manual would be a great investment. At any rate, as you accomplish this task, you need to have the mindset of an electronics technician, not that of a stereotypical mechanic. Good quality connections: twist and solder covered by heat shrink tubing is better than wire nuts and electrical tape.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Backyard mechanic needs help

Gary, I understand your point regarding the potential liability if he burns up his vehicle or worse. I could/shouldhave left out the information regarding fashioning a start switch circuit, not everyone has my fabrication skills or electronic background. At least he now has some direction as to where he can get some additional information to determine his own course of action and a response to his post rather than the feeling that he was just being ignored.

Vee, Gary is correct in inferring that the safest means to accomplish your task is to get the drawings, verify the circuit, properly install the column, and then testfire the engine as it was designed to be ran. Patience is a virtue... Haste makes for expensive repairs.