Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Change front grill/headlight to newer

Old March 4th, 2014, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change front grill/headlight to newer

I have just purchased an Chevrolet Astro 4.3 V6 RWD 193HP 1995mod (guess new version given the motor?)

It has this front (not my car):

Wondering if its possible to change the front (grill/headlights) to this version (1996--->). Without having to do major modifications,they do seem to look alike in size/overall form:

Alternative are there any replacement kits to put in lights that covers the entire headlight area (better light than those small 6x9 things...)

Also in case its not possible and i have to live with the style it has now, what is my best option in removing paint from the grill (they have spraypainted it all white! really ugly... istead of the original silver)

Last edited by svennand; March 4th, 2014 at 6:02 PM.
Old March 4th, 2014, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

Hey congrats on your new ride. I agree, those lights on the first one are too small and for factory lights they won't give much visibility at all. I'd try seeing if you can get in touch with a chev dealer to see where you can get the bigger style casings and or grill. Or check out ebay/wrecking yards etc?

If you can't find the new light casings I would upgrade the lights to these - they will look way cooler at night, give you better vision and is sort of a happy medium between not getting the size you want but with a similar out put. You can also chose the color to suit your van. How's the condition of it other wise? What other mods will you do? These look slick if done properly. I'm a bit envious, I'd love to fix up one of these bad boys!
Old March 5th, 2014, 2:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by motorjunkie80
Hey congrats on your new ride. I agree, those lights on the first one are too small and for factory lights they won't give much visibility at all. I'd try seeing if you can get in touch with a chev dealer to see where you can get the bigger style casings and or grill. Or check out ebay/wrecking yards etc?

If you can't find the new light casings I would upgrade the lights to these - they will look way cooler at night, give you better vision and is sort of a happy medium between not getting the size you want but with a similar out put. You can also chose the color to suit your van. How's the condition of it other wise? What other mods will you do? These look slick if done properly. I'm a bit envious, I'd love to fix up one of these bad boys!
Thanks, quite excited. Guess not the best car in the world, but its my first "american" car. Cant wait to get some roadtrip milage on it

Hmm larger light cases? does that excist? i have only seen the rectangular 2x pr side separated with the metall grill. If its possible to put in full size lights instead of that mold for the 6x9 that would be excellent!

Wondering where to look for this
Old March 13th, 2014, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Thats funny, I kind of wish I had the older style because its easier to change the lamps. By the way mine is a 1995.
Old March 14th, 2014, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rusty scuppers
Thats funny, I kind of wish I had the older style because its easier to change the lamps. By the way mine is a 1995.
Haha love it, didnt now it was easier. duelly noted
Btw im quite surpriced about how well those lights perform.
Though they would be really bad given the size, but i have good viewing range at night.

Im honestly just an really happy camper with this van. First car ive actually fallen in love with

Now lets just hope nothing breaks down.

Any tip on what to expect in regards to wear/tear on these cars?
Joints/shockabsorbers etc. Considering buying up some parts to have when needed. Cause in my country spare parts are REALLY expencive, so ordering from ebay is way better (but takes forever to get).