Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Changing Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2009, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Power Steering Pump

I'm about to tackle this project Saturday evening, I burned the pump out spinning the tires while stuck with the wheel cut all the way to the left. I'm just wondering if any of you have tackled this project before and if theirs anything you know that I dont that will save me some aggrivation
Old April 3rd, 2009, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

oh yeah lol i guess that WOULD help 2000 Chevy Astro
Old April 3rd, 2009, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

ok, that's exactly what i needed, thank you so much Gary! your awesome. One more question though, how do i bleed the power steering system?
Old April 5th, 2009, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

oh my god, it was an absolute nightmare, the trouble started with the "helpful" folks at Oriley auto parts showing my father and I how to use the pulley puller, he instructed us that we were to use this one and only tool to do the job.... which 3 hours into the job, after forcing the pulley all the way back against the braket to the point where it would no longer even spin freely, we figured out that their was infact 2 different tools in the kit, one for removal, one for installation, the guy showed and told us to use the wrong tool to remove the pulley.... so after 3 times of completely stripping the threads on the pulley installer bolt, forcing it out of the power steering shaft, we figured out what we were doing wrong and got the pulley off, everything else went really smooth other than i could NOT figure out how to remove the fan clutch to get that out of our way, we had to work around and through the fan blades the entire time, that made it so much worse, it ended up taking us about 9 hours to do the job.... but we got it changed out, and everything is working perfectly with no leaks, thank you for your help Gary!