Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

2000 Chevy starting/running problem

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Chevy starting/running problem

My 2000 Astro is having trouble starting. It takes several tries to start, and then when I put in reverse it stalls. Restart it and it runs pretty good until I need some speed when it feels like it loses power and then goes again. It is not throwing any codes, and the fuel pump is going on when the key is turned. The van has 107,000 miles and the last time the fuel/air filter were changed was 25,000 miles ago.

I also noticed this morning what looked like oil leaking from right beside the rear passenger tire. However I just had an oil change 2 days ago, and all my problems started prior to having it done.

Last year it had a simular problem, which turned out to be the cap and wires having condensation. At that time the problem was throwing a code and would work itself out as soon as the van drove for awhile. So this problem is a little different.

The only other problem that I have been having with the van is when I put the AC/Heat on the compressor ticks like crazy, and bogs down the engine. The ticking gets faster as you step on the gas. It can't get out of it's own way upon acceleration.

Can anyone help??
Old September 7th, 2010, 6:13 AM
CF Active Member

It is recommended to change the fuel filter every 20k miles. The stock fuel pumps last about 100k miles, cheap replacements much less. The pumps usually don't just die, they get weak. I've driven a few thousand miles on a pump that couldn't create enough pressure to start the van, started the van with starter fluid. Change the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure.

Oil by the rear tire sounds like an axle seal going bad, pull the wheel and drum to verify.

Ticking compressor, could be a bad bearing in the unit.
Old September 10th, 2011, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

Question Starting Problem

My Chev Astro Van has some starting problems, you can turn key all the dash board lights come on, but the engine will not start. You turn tthe key several times and nothing happens. Then you wait a couple minutes it will start. It dont do it all the time, just when you least expect it. I had the starter check out and it is fine. I talk to a lock smith and he think it might have something to do with the anti-lock system.
Old September 12th, 2011, 9:19 PM
CF Active Member

Cooking2001, need more info. What year is the van? Has the fuel pressure been checked? Is the security light on the dash board on?
Old September 14th, 2012, 11:39 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

this is interesting, my van has the abs system lights that come on periodically, and then may stay on for days. and now My van is giving me starting problems. Is it possible for the abs to keep you from getting started?