Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Chevy Astro transmission type

Old October 3rd, 2010, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Chevy Astro transmission type

My 95 Astro had a 4L60E transmission, being the first, and only(?) year for this electric shift tranny. I recently purchased a 2000 Astro ls, with a factory trailering package. What transmission is in this vehicle and what is the differential ratio. The 4L60E had some problems, I replaced 4 of them in the 14 years I owned this vehicle. I hope that the newer Astro has a different transmission. Can anyone help?
Old October 3rd, 2010, 9:32 PM
CF Active Member

Check on your door pillar, door itself, or the glove box for the RPO codes and check all of them. That will tell you all the oprions including your transmission.
http://cadillacfaq.com/rpo/index.php

http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/96transam/rpocodes.html

or any of these will tell you what the codes are
http://www.webcrawler.com/webcrawler...FQJHxwodNCIaag

just so you know I had a 2001 astro with that transmission and it worked flawlessly. I also added a tranny cooler to help keep it cool. Factory trailer package doesnt always mean cooler is there. Make sure. My 2004 Suburban also has that same transmission with a cooler. If you do any towing it would be wise to get a cooler. Even if you dont its advised. I also changed my tranny fluid every 2 years as recomended.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:30 PM
CF Beginner

Thumper, Thanks, one of the sites you listed had a complete code list, 147 pages. Thanks so much, I printed out the entire list as a reference source. By the way I had already found the RPO tag on the passenger's door jam, I just had no way to determine what it all meant. Thanks again. The first transmission that blew, took out the vibration dampener. This happened on the road, and when the repair facility installed the used transmission, they had no Idea that the dampener was missing. Consequencely after about 400 miles on the way home, the 2nd transmission blew, I believe from vibration. They said that when it blew, it even took out the rear brakes, I have never heard of that before, but who was I to argue. 3rd tranny goes in lasted about 14 months. I then noticed that the driveshaft was missing the dampener, and replaced the drive shaft with the transmission. This lasted about 2& 1/2 years and has recently started acting like it was on the verge of failure. I had noticed a vibration from the rear end from the start when the tranny was put in. Thanks again.
Old October 4th, 2010, 7:08 AM
CF Active Member

All automatic Astros/Safaris use the 700R4/4L60E transmission. The later model is basically a computer controlled version of the first.

4 transmissions in 14 years seems a bit much, but I don't know your driving habits. Were the 3rd and 4th trans used as well? Were these used trans from a delivery van that got hammered on or from a passenger that was empty most the time? Were they serviced by the previous owners? Used transmissions are really a roll of the dice.

On vehicles that I plan on keeping for a while I'll only do rebuilt trans with a new torque converter.

Green's was rebuilt last winter at 185K. I bought the van with 145K, but who knows how the PO treated it. I pulled and installed myself and a shop about 100 miles from me rebuilt it for less than $900 with some serious upgrades.

Grumpy has 325K on an all original trans. When I bought it at 297K the OD was not functional and some steeper off-road grades would give it fits. I replaced a shift servo to regain the use of OD. A bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix was added when I filled the trans to help the clutch plates and band grip. Grumpy took me from Chicago to New York to New Orleans and back to Chicago this past June, then impressed the Jeep crowd at the Badlands Off Road park in July getting places most would never think an Astro could go. I know that I want to rebuild the trans, but I'm putting it off as long as possible.
Old October 4th, 2010, 8:23 AM
CF Active Member

Your welcome good luck with the new van.
Old September 12th, 2012, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2001 Chevy Astro

We have a 2001 Chevy Astro. It was being driven at about 45 mph and then just stopped. The transmission will not move. There were no previous problems with it slipping. Any ideas on what I can do?