Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Dutch Door hatch wont latch??

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2006, 4:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dutch Door hatch wont latch??

I bought a 93 safari van that was kinda neglected and after some work(Front Diff Rebuild=$589.00)and the usual stuff that an almost 14 yr old vehicle needs Im down to trying to figure out these Dutch Doors?
All the lock mech's on the van were in serious need of lube and the rear doors were stuck shut???
I got everything lubed and working good but the top glass half wont lock?
I looked in the Haynes manual with no luck and since I never had it working I dont have a clue.
Is there a sensor or something that is suspossed to lock the door when you shut it?
The dash switch rear door unlock is working,does it have anything to do with the top glass?
The two spring/slider deals on the side are compressed and the hooks are in place but nothing happens?
I cant figure it out and winters here and my heat is going out the back hatch lol!!!!!
Thanks for looking,
Russell
Old November 29th, 2006, 2:25 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Dutch Door hatch wont latch??

my dad's '93 Safari had the same issue. all the white metal used for the latch assm. was corroded beyond belief. we just used a tie down strap to hold it shut until i installed a new latch assm. we also had 2 replace the lach assm. for the Dutch doors as well 'cause they wouldn't latch after we got them to open up. consider yourself lucky that u got the rear doors to open, and then stay latched shut after.
Old November 29th, 2006, 2:59 AM
CF Beginner

Hey got it figured out today!!!
I was checking out the rear wiper and the cleaner spray came out the bottom of the glass hatch instead of the sprayer nozzel so I took the plastic off the inside and saw the elec release mech and the two locks on each side.
I sprayed the lock mech things on each end with WD-40 and got them broke loose with some needle nose plier's then I lubed them with some good oil and I now have a locking rear hatch :0)
It's all controlled by the hatch release button on the dash by the way,seems the shock deals that hold the glass up have a sensor in each one that tells the mech deal to lock when you close the glass?
I didnt know how it was suspossed to work since it never worked since I have had the van,maybe this post will help others in the future??
Getting a new vehicle is always a pain,espically if you have a Haynes manual thats not worth a crap!!!!!!!!!!
Old November 30th, 2006, 1:32 AM
CF Active Member

actually russell56443, i'd have 2 disagree. from all the different manuals out there, & all the different one's i've used, i'd say the Haynes r probably the bettter of the bunch. personally, i don't even think i'd let my dog wipe his a$$ with a Chilton's paper back manual. to bad, 'cause the older Chilton's i found 2 b quite useful. & yes, he's that talented.
Old November 30th, 2006, 1:45 AM
CF Beginner

It had a lot of good info but didnt show much at all,if any about the dutch doors,which was what I needed?
Old November 30th, 2006, 2:30 AM
CF Active Member

sorry, i must have misunderstood u.