Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Just dies out for no reason

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2014, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just dies out for no reason

Guys, please help me to figure out and thank you in advance for your help.
Ihave Chevy Astro 2001. I replaced its radiator but I didn't have a red colored coolant specified for GMC but instead I used a green ordinary coolant.
The ff day, it just died out for no reason. Does it (coolant) really the reason?
I noticed that when I stick ignition key, the temp and oil monitors goes up to 12 oclock position but when with the engine running it goes back to where it should be....
I am not convinced it its really the coolant, please help me.

Thanks
Jimmy
Old July 28th, 2014, 6:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by jardeloso
Guys, please help me to figure out and thank you in advance for your help.
Ihave Chevy Astro 2001. I replaced its radiator but I didn't have a red colored coolant specified for GMC but instead I used a green ordinary coolant.
The ff day, it just died out for no reason. Does it (coolant) really the reason?
I noticed that when I stick ignition key, the temp and oil monitors goes up to 12 oclock position but when with the engine running it goes back to where it should be....
I am not convinced it its really the coolant, please help me.??/

Thanks
Jimmy
Was the green coolant universal comes in green but works for both alum. and cast iron ??/ Did the gauges do that same move before you did to change out ??/ Mine go all the way over to the high side of the gauge with ignition in the on position and then back to a real reading after the engine starts??/ The problem with the car dieing after started might be a combination of or any of the separate following ??/ Coil after getting hot ( Bad coil ) will close the circuit I didn't look to see what year yours was but if it only has one coil that's a possibility ??/ Knock sensor might do it ??/ fuel pressure, Fuel pump, fuel filter, Did you have any codes come up on the service engine light ??/ Go to Orielly's or any other major parts suppler and have them scan the vehicle??/ does your service engine light even work ??/ And then there are several other senors that might be partially or totally damaged that could give a signal to the ECM that would shut the vehicle down ??/ Can you feather the accelerator any to keep it running longer ??/ there's also a brake switch that you have to depress to get your engine to fire and it goes on and on ??/ Did you remove any wires when you did the change out ??/ And its going to be a little had to get it to a auto parts store since it doesn't run so your going to have to search a way to get you codes read ??/ That's all I got on the subject ??/

Last edited by stevejohnson48; July 29th, 2014 at 6:23 AM.
Old July 30th, 2014, 2:18 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

Steve, Thank you for the possibilities.
I called my mechanic and he found out that there was a sparks leaked in the coil, specifically on the high tension cable leading to the distributor. He was able to fixed it and it didn't die out so far. Still under observation and planning to buy new coil....
It was normal before we changed its radiator except the ABS/brake monitor lights but it was hard to start and still the same.. I think it is the coil that is about to expire? Thank you so much and God bless.
Old July 30th, 2014, 7:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by jardeloso
Steve, Thank you for the possibilities.
I called my mechanic and he found out that there was a sparks leaked in the coil, specifically on the high tension cable leading to the distributor. He was able to fixed it and it didn't die out so far. Still under observation and planning to buy new coil....
It was normal before we changed its radiator except the ABS/brake monitor lights but it was hard to start and still the same.. I think it is the coil that is about to expire? Thank you so much and God bless.
I replaced everything in the distributor side on both my 90 Z71 and my 97 Astro with MSD ignition parts < Wires, Cap ,Rotor bug, and coil ??/ Me likie ??/ Quick response, no hesitation,and better fuel mileage??/ if you can go the extra bucks that's the way to go ??/ Took me a will to get the money up for the change for each one ??/ Shopped on E-Bay for most of it and Rock auto has some good products Cheap and good Quality??/ Best location I found for parts but they are mail order so there's going to be a wait if you can go it ??/
Old August 1st, 2014, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

Thank you again sir. Its time for me to do that to make my van going.