Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

"Manual" operation and testing of transfer case encoder motor

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2014, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Manual" operation and testing of transfer case encoder motor

Hello folks, first post here. Just picked up a 2002 AWD Astro a few weeks ago. It's in decent enough shape but I seem to be experiencing what appears to be a 'stuck' transfer case; either the motor or controller are not working so I'm stuck in AWD. When turning, I get a shudder that based on what I've been reading about sounds like it fits the description. I've drained and installed new fluid and the problem persists.

So, I'm going to try to remove the encoder motor to test it but before I do so I thought I could possibly test it without removing it by simply giving it 12v but I'm worried that I may harm the motor if it isn't designed to be given a direct 12v and is perhaps a stepper motor or something. So my first question is, how can I test the encoder motor?

Related to the previous question, I would like to know how I can go about manually controlling the transfer case motor. Basically I'd like to remove the controller box for it and instead install a switch which would allow me to manually control the encoder.

Finally, is there anything special I need to do in order to remove the drive shaft that blocks the removal of the motor? I've tried removing the four bolts that connect it to the front end and giving it a few whomps with a mallet but it didn't move.