Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Van won't start in wet weather

Old December 5th, 2012, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get an AC Delco coil. None other.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 1998 Astro Cargo van. When it rains, water seeps into the engine compartment due to the age of the weatherstripping at the hood/cowl junction. Chevy decided to put the coil on top of the intake manifold and this is where water collects. Three sockets and a long screwdriver is then needed to remove the interior engine cover so that WD-40 can be sprayed in to dry out the coil. Since Chevy no longer makes the weatherstripping, I threaded 1/2" foam backer rod through the channel and this has been somewhat effective, not perfect.
Old May 7th, 2013, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

I would like to suggest to all that the coils do not last. They will have spark visible but if you have a starting issue and the coil has not been replaced in a few years it is worth replacing it first. For about $50US it is cheep. If nothing else you have ruled out an easy to replace part that is notorious to fail. Only use OEM parts for the ignition. Coil, rotor and cap. OH yeah, your coil should still work when damp if it is still sealed. if not why not try some liquid electrical tape. Yes liquid.

Last edited by Stefko; May 7th, 2013 at 8:13 PM.
Old February 14th, 2014, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

---Thanks for this forum...My 2003 Silverado V6 is doing the same thing...my mechanis could not find the problem 18 months ago even after fuel filter, new wires etc...Now I know what the cause is and how to fix it with the right parts...Thanks again...Aaron
Old February 17th, 2014, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Glad we could help. It was very expensive for me the last time. If I can help someone else out it is always a pleasure.
Old August 25th, 2014, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

Just had same problem with my 96 changed everything turned out the distributer was going bad with a lot of play in it changed it and haven't had any problems even on rainy days hope it helps
Old December 25th, 2014, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

i was putting a blowdryer under the hood towards distributor for a hour and it would start.when I replaced cap and rotor the old cap was green and corosion moister in cap when I took off old rotor you can see two holes with screening over them.they go straight threw the bottom of distributor that is where the moister is getting in.took a pencil eraser and sanded it down a little pushed it in the two holes with gasket sealer;drove same day in rain storm;rained the next two days .started up every time .never had that problem again.
Old December 29th, 2014, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default Astro Van

I would highly recommend that you replace the coil and only with an OEM part. you will see a spark but it may not be strong enough. Always check the fuel pressure with a pressure gauge. It should be 60 psi. you could have issues with the injector spider but that isn't usually related to moisture.
Old January 17th, 2015, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default hard starting astro van

[QUOTE=abates2k;41830]I have a 1999 Astro Van and nearly everytime it rains

fixed it!!we did same thing as every one else. this finally fixed mine!! resolderer ground wire connection near tstat ---found dist. cap screw did not tighten firmly replaced with next size up & silicon grease on cap seal to distributor --- wire dry on every wire connection every where
has not been a problem since wish we had done this first before all the money spent that was spent at garage
Old January 21st, 2015, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default 02 astro

have 02 astro since new. have gone through 8 various brand coils. none seem to last. i keep an extra in the van. sometimes condensation from weather changes seems to do it. great van but very aggravating.