Astro DIY and Useful Threads This section is strictly for frequently asked questions and useful threads pertaining to Astros.

Discussion: 2" Astro Lift Install Write-Up

Old August 29th, 2009, 4:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discussion: 2" Astro Lift Install Write-Up

Here's a detailed page on how I lifted my 98 RWD Astro. The kit is from Dan at www.OverlandVans.com.

Here's the Kit Contents:

1-2" multi-Lift Shackles
2" Body Pucks
New Body Mount Bolts
Modified Emergency Brake Bracket
2" Raised Bumper Mounts
Rancho 5000 Shocks
OverlandVan Sticker
Instruction Set

Here's the Van at it's stock height. I have 235/75/15 tires mounted already. The rear tires rub pretty bad when the roads get rough or I have a full load aboard.

Front Height Before:

Rear Begining Height:

Last edited by EvansBlue; August 29th, 2009 at 9:32 PM. Reason: fixed thread for discussion
Old August 29th, 2009, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Rear Lift was First on the Worklist

I decided to do the rear lift first. TS Danny was threatening to rain on us and I wasn't sure how much I'd get done today. I did a couple of quick measurements and made sure I had room to work in the Garage and still be able to get the Van out.

So Let's lift this thing... the instructions are really good. I used the Van jack instead of my floor jack, it worked great. I went for max height, ended up with the tires about 1" off the ground.

I put jackstands under the rear hitch as suggested.

Okay now it's time to pull the shackles off. Here's what is going in...

I used a small screwdriver to push the mount bolt out:

This went quick, I used a bit of grease on the outer edges of the new shackle bushings as it was a tight fit.

Here's the rear completed with the new shocks too.

Time for a test drive and a photo op. Took 1.5 hrs from getting tools out to this phase, with a couple of coffee breaks.

Rear Lifted Height

Break Time.
Old August 29th, 2009, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Time to Tackle the Front Lift

So the front requires the bumper to come off. This requires getting the face off the van. Pics are good so here's the breakdown...

Turnsignals come out first

Then the grill, there are hidden screws behind the turn signals.

Now the bumper facia comes off

And finally stripped and ready to lift

Old August 29th, 2009, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default Body Lift Install

The Front lift is a Body Lift between the subframe and the body. There are three 2' pucks that go on each side. New high quality 10.8 Bolts are provided. The emergency brake bracket needs to come off too.

The goal is to get the Puck in there....

Loosen all 6 bolts then lift up the driver's side:

Get the puck in, and loosely hold it in place with one of the new bolts. This is just to make sure the body comes down properly. I didn't use the washer or rubber isolator on the bottom side for this stage. I also did not apply locktite yet.

Here's the middle puck which takes the larger bolt:

Once all the pucks are in, I then pulled the bolts individually, applied locktite and installed the lower washer and rubber isolator. Then Torqued to the specs provided.

The next thing is to put on the raised bumper brackets:

And the lift is essentially done...

We do have a few details to take care of. The Fan is now digging into the fan shroud. Let's fix that...

I didn't get pics of the emergency brake cable bracket, but it's easy enough to figure out.

Now lets put the face back on and see what we have....
Old August 29th, 2009, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default Almost Done

We'll we need a test drive first....

Assembly is really just putting the stuff back on in the reverse order. I did test fit the bumper and adjusted the impact bar/ bumper bracket a little bit. It's still a hair too high, but the temp was way to high to worry about it. I also skipped installing the front shocks, the regular shocks are fine.

And here's the final pic from the side:

Front final height is:

Rear final height is:

Not bad for a days work. I'll get the new shocks in when it cools off.

Thanks Dan!

Old August 29th, 2009, 5:11 PM
CF Veteran

Thumbs up all jacked up!

that's a nice kit ,good install ,good picture's .should be done on all of them .
Old August 29th, 2009, 9:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

That looks awesome. I'll copy it to the Astro DIY right away. Great write-up and THANKS for contributing this to the forum!
Old August 30th, 2009, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Driving impression after 1 day is very good. The suspension/spring rate is unchanged. What is nice is the shocks. The new RS5000 shocks replaced Monroe Sensa-Tracks, which while they still have pressure in them - did not seem to have effective valving anymore. I still need to get the front shocks in, but already there is a marked improvement out back.

Ethan
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Gary,

I don't do much if any towing but I'll keep that in mind if I do. I did flat tow my old 91 Cherokee during coast to coast moves twice with no problems.

I got the BFG ATs installed on the front this morning. Going from crappy P235/70/15s to the LT235/75/15 with stronger sidewalls and a little narrower tread has improved the turning response. The tires also firm up the ride.

The new front shocks will go on tommorow night, and then I can get to work on the new roof rack and remounting the ShadyBoy Awning.

We'll be headed to the beach this weekend for a little surf action.

E
Old September 1st, 2009, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default Final Pics for the Lift

Well here it is. I got the new tires on the front and just finished installing the new shocks up there too.

Can this post be appended to the DIY write-up?

I'll be taking it out this weekend to see how it handles.

Ethan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Discussion: 2" Astro Lift Install Write-Up