Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool sound system? Discuss all your Audio, Video, and other cool electronics here! Please limit the contents to aftermarket only. If you have questions that pertain to a certain model, post it in a model-specific section.

2001 tahoe radio install problems

Old November 8th, 2012, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 tahoe radio install problems

first off id like to say im an idiot i did not get the harness to plug into my aftermarket stereo iactually cut the harness from the car and tried to splice and go from there....needless to say i looked everywhere for wiring diagrams on the 2001 tahoe and they all seem the same 12v is orange black is ground and yellow is ignition i tried hooking it up like that and nothing ive been dicking around with it for the last 2 hours and cant figure it out if anyone out there has done what ive done i would really appreciate the help id rather not take it to a car audio place for one embarrasment and two i dont have that kind of money thanks in advance
Old January 13th, 2013, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

According to my sheet from Crutchfield:

Yellow- 12V constant power
Red- 12V switched power
Blue- amp turn on
Orange/White- Dimmer

If you have onstar and no Bose you have another connection to make. There is an unused wiring harness in there. You need to clip the solid pink wire and connect it with your amp turn on wires.
Old February 11th, 2013, 5:47 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by bigj2201
first off id like to say im an idiot i did not get the harness to plug into my aftermarket stereo iactually cut the harness from the car and tried to splice and go from there....needless to say i looked everywhere for wiring diagrams on the 2001 tahoe and they all seem the same 12v is orange black is ground and yellow is ignition i tried hooking it up like that and nothing ive been dicking around with it for the last 2 hours and cant figure it out if anyone out there has done what ive done i would really appreciate the help id rather not take it to a car audio place for one embarrasment and two i dont have that kind of money thanks in advance

I just finished an install on a 2008 Silverado .

I suggest you carefully splice the factory connector , you just cut off , back to the factory wiring harness .

I bought the interface / install kit for 2007 - 2010 Chevy trucks from Walley World . Yours is a 2001 , so it will probably need a different and possibly cheaper kit ?

After the fact photos .

Flickr: WyrTwister's Photostream

Do not know if you can view the photos ?

Sorry about the glare ( you can see a reflection of my hands and the camera ) on the closeups .

God bless
Wyr
Old February 11th, 2013, 6:01 AM
CF Active Member

First , I think this page is for your vehicle ?

Metra Online | Welcome to Metra Auto Parts Online Warehouse

And I think this may replace what he cut off ?

Metra Part # 71-2003-1 | OEM wire harness | Metra Online

If not , contact Metra and ask . Then ash where to buy it ( they are distributors ) .

Or contact SonicElectronix.com . They will sell to the public .

Metra 71-2003-1 (met-712003-1) Reverse Wiring Harness for Select

Also ask them about

Metra-70-2003 | Sonic Electronix Search

that is made to plug into the factory connectors . The ends of these wires splice into the wires on the connector that comes with an after market radio .

God bless
Wyr
Old March 28th, 2013, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

I was thinking about getting an aftermarket unit also, but after reading all your posts, it seems very complicated...so they don't come with all the neccessary wires?
Old March 29th, 2013, 6:01 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by LSTahoe
I was thinking about getting an aftermarket unit also, but after reading all your posts, it seems very complicated...so they don't come with all the neccessary wires?
They come with all the wires . You just need to order / buy a connector /adapter that will plug into the factory radio connector ( or connectors ) . Splice the wires that come on the connector /adapter , to the wires on the new radio . A little more involved , with newer vehicles , or thoae with " premium " factory audio systems .

What year & model vehicle do you have ?

God bless
Wyr
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Is there a navigation that is plug and play?
I don't have the knowledge to splice the wires and etc..
I have a Tahoe LS
Old April 2nd, 2013, 6:11 AM
CF Active Member

Is there a navigation that is plug and play?
I don't have the knowledge to splice the wires and etc..
I have a Tahoe LS
You mean , an aftermarket radio with GPS ? If so , yes , although I did not buy one with that feature .

If you do not have the ability to do the install yourself & do not have a buddy that does , I recommend you shop all the local audio reredos shops & get quotes .

What year Tahoe ?

God bless
Wyr
Old April 2nd, 2013, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

Its a 2012 ls, a buddy of mine apparently got a new navigation system and I'm trying to do a bit of upgrade also, I saw the kenwood unit in another post
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/aud...re-burb-54504/
but that is WAY expensive
Old April 3rd, 2013, 5:30 AM
CF Active Member

Its a 2012 ls, a buddy of mine apparently got a new navigation system and I'm trying to do a bit of upgrade also, I saw the kenwood unit in another post
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/aud...re-burb-54504/
but that is WAY expensive
From what little I have learned , the newer the vehicle is , the more sophisticated ( and more expensive ) the electronics needed in the install kit ?

And the radios with GPS are more expensive . Especially the name brand radios .

The no name brand radios shipped direct from Red China , are not as expensive .

God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 tahoe radio install problems