Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool sound system? Discuss all your Audio, Video, and other cool electronics here! Please limit the contents to aftermarket only. If you have questions that pertain to a certain model, post it in a model-specific section.

Aftermarket Audio: Watcha got?

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Aftermarket Audio: Watcha got?

I have a few ideas I'm bouncing around, because my O.E. sound system is on it's last legs now.

First, generally, when you upgrade to more power for tunes, you may be looking for a larger or higher amp alternator. Does anybody have a system which has worked well(or poorly) for them? How big an alternator is good, what's too much?

What audio brands do you use and prefer?

Which heads,amps,subs, and speakers are kickin'?

Anyone have any good wiring diagrams?
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Moving to the AV Electronics section.

In my Blazer, I have MTX subs with a Sony system and I have not been dissapointed. The Sony stuff is comprised of 6" Sony door subs and door pillar mounted tweeters. I also have Sony 4-ways in the dash and soon will have Sony 6x9s in the back doors.
Even though the Sony equipment is cheap, it sounds unbeleivable. I'm actually running it through the stock Bose amp, which probably explains the exceptional sound balance. Its not the very best equipment out there, but for the price, the system I'm using is unreal.
Old April 30th, 2009, 3:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found that in my past builds I've been the most pleased with Infinity speakers for my fronts and/or rears, and when it comes to subs I prefer JL Audio...but in my Cherokee I needed some slimline subs so went with Rockford Fosgate. As far as amps go, I've been most impressed with either JL Audio for mono amps to push my sub, or alpine amps to push my other speakers.

Here are my current setups in my other vehicles:

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport:

speaker box built INTO the rear seat
Name:  box5.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  33.0 KB

JL mono amp mounted under the seat:
Name:  amp2-1.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  35.0 KB

Then I mounted my Alpine amp for fronts and rears inside console

Here's my 2000 Jeep Cherokee:

Amp placement under the rear seat
Old April 30th, 2009, 3:44 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I need to make an enclosure like that for my Blazer. My box is slightly too small for the space I have it in.
Old April 30th, 2009, 3:55 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Damn... all I got is that little dinky cable that connects and Ipod to the factory radio.....
Old April 30th, 2009, 9:18 PM
CF Junior Member

I got lots of good info from Rockford Fosgates website...they have a little program that will help you to calculate what kind and size box to build based upon the speakers you have and the air space needed. Also www.caraudio.com was a great resource as well.
Old April 30th, 2009, 9:33 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got an 02 trailblazer. Everything in it is Pioneer. I can pound the subs as hard as I want and it doesn't seem to affect it. Door Speakers are also pioneer, although they blew quite easily.

4 channel and mono block amp in the small cubby

Capacitor.....only a half farad, but it was given to me at the time

The Sub....Still not 100% finished at this time....I didn't know how to clean up the look of it, so I added a speaker grill to it and put it off. The box is built into the fender well behind that panel. The sub I used was a Pioneer Shallow-Mount 10".
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...low/TS-SW1041D

Everything hidden when closed up. Sounds pretty good for just 1 sub.....

Old May 1st, 2009, 10:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Nice setup...I like how you built that speaker into the side cargo area...looks clean and fairly hidden.

I did something similar in my Cherokee before I built the box you see above
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a jensen flip out monitor head unit, gps wired in and the whole works. i got kicker components all around and a phoenix gold 1700 watt amp pushing a 10 in. kicker l7 in a kicker ported box under the back seat behind the driver where no one sits. its hooked to a 5 farad capacitor and its own stand-alone battery that gets charged by the truck via isolator. all my accessories go to the extra battery. this summer im going to try some fiber glass work on the A-pillars and slap in some gauges and tweeters. im also thinking about doing some carpet work but its an idea.
Old May 4th, 2009, 8:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the cap in the sneaky storage bin. That is real clean. Good job bro. I don't have a pic of mine.

My setup:
Two 12 inch RockFords... the previous ones (they are better quality then their newest stuff)
1000 watt kenwood amp
Rockford Cap
Pioneer P8mp head unit.

Last edited by OnDaGround; May 4th, 2009 at 9:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Audio: Watcha got?