Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool sound system? Discuss all your Audio, Video, and other cool electronics here! Please limit the contents to aftermarket only. If you have questions that pertain to a certain model, post it in a model-specific section.

Double DIN Unit: Pioneer vs. Alpine vs. KW

Old March 5th, 2008, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double DIN Unit: Pioneer vs. Alpine vs. KW

I'm looking for a double DIN unit to put in my 08 tahoe I just purchased. I had a Pioneer Avic Z1 in my truck I just sold and I want something similar in the Tahoe. I was pretty much set on a Z2 until I looked at at Alpine unit today. It was the IVA-w205 and they are coming out with a w505 very soon. It has a detachable, portable navigation that hides behind the screen. Pretty cool! Plus it has a better ipod interface than the Z2. I don't think it has a hard drive like the Z2, but that would only be for ripping CD's on to the internal hard drive. I'd just use the ipod.

It also needs to be able to control a rear seat entertainment monitor.

I've never used the Kenwood, but I know they have a new unit with Garmin technology coming out.

Any suggestions?
Old March 6th, 2008, 6:05 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Double DIN Unit: Pioneer vs. Alpine vs. KW

I personaly have never had any luck with anything from Kenwood Excelon. My sisters BF has the Pioneer AVIC, cant remember which one, but hes had it for like going on 3 years no problems. Pioneer always makes quality products. But so does Alpine. I guess it comes down to features. Which one of the units offers the features your most likely to use on a regular basis and which one is more user friendly. I think both choices are a safe bet on reliability and quality. Also look and see which one has the higher preamp output voltage. Thats an important feature if you plan on adding additional amps. The higher the output voltage, the cleaner the signal transfer.