Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool sound system? Discuss all your Audio, Video, and other cool electronics here! Please limit the contents to aftermarket only. If you have questions that pertain to a certain model, post it in a model-specific section.

how do i hook up an amp to a stock radio

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2008, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i hook up an amp to a stock radio

how would i go about hooking up an amp to a stock radio onan 08 chevy impala? is there a kit i can purchase? or some manual to do it yourself ??
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: how do i hook up an amp to a stock radio

there is a way to hook up an amp with a stock head unit. personally i do not think it is wise and you will not get as good of sound but you can go to a local wal-mart, best buy or circuit city or any car audio store. i forget the name of the box but its function is you get some wire, hook it up to a door or trunk speaker terminal and hook it to the box. then take the box and use rca cables to connect to the amp. that method of connecting an amp is not recommended because then you cannot adjust the bass levels just for the amp. and so if you run high bass levels you run the possibility of blowing your component speakers. also. since your connecting your amp to a component speaker, your not getting as good of a connection as supposed to using rca lines from the head unit. this is all experience ive had with installing friends systems. to answer your question. yes you can do it. its fairly easy. as long as a component speaker is easily accesable. hope this helps
Old August 28th, 2008, 5:46 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you hooking up subs? or adding a 4 channel amp to the existing door speakers?
also look in the trunk, under the rear parcel shelf to see if there is already an amp there
Old August 30th, 2008, 7:41 PM
CF Junior Member

What you need is called a low level input converter, or "stepdown" its the same thing. there will be six wires on one side, 4 of which will be connected to your factory speaker wire, the other side will have rca outputs which will run to your amp. they run about $20
Old October 6th, 2008, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

for the most part the are all corect. i am a car audio installer at circuit city. the part u need for the rca's is called a line level & noise control mod. the part number is Met ALOC608. that is for the 2 channel one. i dontknow the part number for the 4 channel one but i know it is made and it can be ordered. you can hook that up behing the factory raid to he read speaker wires or at the rear speakers if the are in the rear deck. hooking the mod up behind the radio will make it so u have to have 17' rca's at the rear speakers u can get away with 3' ones. as for remote power ur best bet is to get it from the ignition harnes since the factory radio doesnt have an amp turn-on wire. u cant get it behind the radio casue there is no accesory wire in the factory harnes. but for the most part it is really easy to do.
Old October 6th, 2008, 8:16 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

even easier if it has a factory amp.....if it does, there is line level audio already in the trunk