Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool sound system? Discuss all your Audio, Video, and other cool electronics here! Please limit the contents to aftermarket only. If you have questions that pertain to a certain model, post it in a model-specific section.

Installing radio CD player in 2004 Imapla

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2007, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing radio CD player in 2004 Imapla

I just bought a used 2004 Impala that came with a cassette radio. I want to install a factory radio CD player. They are available on Ebay for $50 to $150.My questions are, how hard is it to pull out the old radio and install the new one? I am not sure how these new dashes come apart. I am mechanical, but need some coaching.

Second,Are there any problems getting the anti theft code reprogramed?

Thanks for your response,

Greg O.
Old June 7th, 2007, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Installing radio CD player in 2004 Imapla

I do not know about the codes and replacing a stock unit, but I should be able to help with the installing.
Ive done this numerous times lately so hopefully I will get all the steps correctly.

1. remove both fuse panels and take out screws holding main dashboard (one per side).
2. remove 2 screws directly above instrument panel,
3. Drop down black piece above pedals. Remove the 2 screws holding the panel located just under the steering wheel.
4. The panel you just removed should pull straight out towards the seat (there are 2 clips, so it may take a tug)
5. Remove screw holding the main dash unit (should be to the left just under the steering wheel). Check for another screw around that area (cant remember if there is one).
6. pop out black key ring (off, on, start logos).
7. Insert key (no keyrings!) and begin gently tugging the dash panel off. I usually start around the door and work my way to the other side. The area around the instrument panel is tricky, so you may have tio muscle it around. Once you get the green hazard clip exposed, disconnect it.
8.I tyupically have to turn my car on and drop the gear shifter all the way down to get the dash panel out. (for those with the bucket seats, this should not be necessary).
9. Remove the screws holding in the unit and thats all she wrote!

I have a 2001 base model, so your car may be somewhat different. I hope this gives you a good starting point though!
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Installing radio CD player in 2004 Imapla

[blockquote]
Above comments Sounds good[/align][/blockquote]