Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

05 AV with Klunking Knocking Noise

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2007, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 AV with Klunking Knocking Noise

Hi All- new to the forum and I apologize if this has been questioned and answered and I missed it. I am really at my wits end!! I live in Upstate NY - yup owner of about 130" of snow if any takers.. anyway since about September of last year I have heard a klunking, knocking noise under my truck when turning into driveways or over back country roads and bumps. They checked the body mount insulators, with no luck. Check the universal joint and struts etc- no. They just replaced on Monday something to do with the shock and guess what I continue to hear? Well I am giving them the benefit of the doubt since I have had minus 20 at my house the last few mornings and it is cold but I am so over this and really getting annoyed - I can truly and definitely hear it why can it not be fixed? They also check something to do with the steering column and grease etc.. Please bear with me - yes I am a woman so probably asking stupid questions. They even replaced something according to a TSB and that did not cease the noises! Any thoughts or suggestions? I paid alot for this truck and know I am not imagining this - when hearing the noise you can almost equate it with something being lose underneath!!
Old March 14th, 2007, 2:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 05 AV with Klunking Knocking Noise

Hi my dad's04 Z-71 Tahoe had the same problem... when we took it to the dealer the first time they told us they could'nt find the problem... after a couple of months of still hearing this poping, knocking noise while pulling into our drive way, makingu-turns, and taking a hard bump,we decided to take it to a different Chevrolet dealer... the problem was the ball mounts, and joint... I know you said they have checked those but a second look at it just might do the trick sometimes...
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you. I am very very upset and at my wits end. I know they hear it as well but its still there. As I said we have had very cold days here and I figured I would give it a chance. However the past few days have been high 50's and the roads are dry and clear no more snow. I still hear it. Will another dealer honor my warranty? I just feel I have paid so stinking much for this car and should not be hearing these noises. I am going to call them today and tell them the joints and ball mounts.. anyone else have any thoughts? What I am most frustrated with is when I call Chevy all they do is get a rep on the phone to make sure I am getting appointments for the car not that they are fixing it or troubleshooting it!
Old March 14th, 2007, 5:07 PM
CF Active Member

I would definately check all shock mounts, ball joints, sways to make sure they are torqued to manufacturer specs. Alot ot times they will check to make sure they are "tight" but that is not the same as having them to the specs. The slightest bit of movement can cause a pretty good clunk.

~dig
Old March 15th, 2007, 2:44 AM
CF Beginner

Any GMdealer inyour area should honor your warranty...I buy all my chevys and cadillacs from a dealer 20-30 miles away from me just because i know the sales rep... and then i have them serviced at a nearby dealer about 5 miles away from my home... and they honor the warranty... but i can feelyour distress with the noise...i had the same problem andit tookme two trips,each at different dealers to find and fix the problem...
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you. I plan to call the dealer today to see what they want to do or suggest taking it elsewhere. I am really tired of it and disgusted!