Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

05 lt transfer case issue?

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2012, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 lt transfer case issue?

Hi guys, New here. I have a 2005 Avalanche LT 5.3 non flex fuel 4x4. Recently i heard a sound which seems to come from the front. The closest thing i can relate the sound to is a bad cv axle. However its louder.

This is a video on youtube from a 09 wrangler. But this is the closest video i could find to the noise i hear. My AV sounds just like this:

We jacked the rear up and put it into drive. Some how when we accelerate on jacks, the traction control kicks in and wont let us go over 10-20mph even if the button is not on on the dash. But every so often the noise returns on the jacks. It's not as loud though.

I drained the transfer case fluid and looked for metal. It was clean.

Some forums i read say it could be the Ujoints. The truck DOES go into 4wd as well. ASLO, the noise goes away after a few miles of regular driving.

Can anyone point to the thread where this may be answered? OR can anyone describe what they found to be the exact problem? Is it the xfer case?

Thanks in advance!
Old July 24th, 2012, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New info

Ok. Its in the tranny shop. They can reproduce the problem but they cant figure out what it is. And this is a highly trained facility. No one has heard this noise before at the shop. they drained the read diff fluid and xfer case fluid and both do not have any unusual traits. the u joints they claim, look good. and everything they can come up with ends up not fixing the issue.

ANY other thoughts to try? I wonder if the ABS motor is freaking out or broke....