Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

07 LTZ Avalanche GPS Navigation System Problems

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2011, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 07 LTZ Avalanche GPS Navigation System Problems

I have an 07 Avalanche LTZ (120,000 km or 72,000 miles) with a factory Navigation System that has been giving us problems... it gets lost all the time!! I have updated to the maps to the 2011 DVD (thanks to the help of my friend and some downloading), but it doesn't seem to help... even tried to go back to the older disc, but still no good.
Here's what it does... when you're set to navigate to a destination and driving say at 50-60mph on an Interstate and make a sweeping turn, often the cursor just wanders off on a nearby street. Then it tries to turn itself out of the neighborhood and gets caught in a loop and can't get out... I have seen it lost for in the same city or town for an hour of driving down the interstate! It's kind of funny listening to her try to find her way out and telling to turn left now... but it is so useless! Once you shut the key off and restart the vehicle, you're right back to your current location. I also noticed that the GPS would sometimes seem to loose it's signal (a red line through "GPS" on display) and then it would come back after a while.

Anybody have some similar problems? or any idea if the GPS needs to be calibrated?

I have notied a couple other strange things on this vehicle... The battery charging system is funky, but I read that this is normal that it shuts itself off to save a few cents on gas. When the alternator is off and you brake hard, the stabilitrack off readout/chime goes off... and it's really hard to stop quickly on the highway if the volt meter is only at 12V... but that will be another post.
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasboat3
I have an 07 Avalanche LTZ (120,000 km or 72,000 miles) with a factory Navigation System that has been giving us problems... it gets lost all the time!! I have updated to the maps to the 2011 DVD (thanks to the help of my friend and some downloading), but it doesn't seem to help... even tried to go back to the older disc, but still no good.
Here's what it does... when you're set to navigate to a destination and driving say at 50-60mph on an Interstate and make a sweeping turn, often the cursor just wanders off on a nearby street. Then it tries to turn itself out of the neighborhood and gets caught in a loop and can't get out... I have seen it lost for in the same city or town for an hour of driving down the interstate! It's kind of funny listening to her try to find her way out and telling to turn left now... but it is so useless! Once you shut the key off and restart the vehicle, you're right back to your current location. I also noticed that the GPS would sometimes seem to loose it's signal (a red line through "GPS" on display) and then it would come back after a while.

Anybody have some similar problems? or any idea if the GPS needs to be calibrated?

I have notied a couple other strange things on this vehicle... The battery charging system is funky, but I read that this is normal that it shuts itself off to save a few cents on gas. When the alternator is off and you brake hard, the stabilitrack off readout/chime goes off... and it's really hard to stop quickly on the highway if the volt meter is only at 12V... but that will be another post.
*** Have you had this problem corrected yet ? My friend has a similar problems where it sounds like a small Mexican Dog is try to get out (barking) ! Unable to get fixed. Please advise. Thanks !
Old January 13th, 2013, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I still have the problems... maybe a little worse now... I notice that my headlights are dimming for a second or two all the time, and lots of alarms (hood open, traction control, etc) going off especially when the truck is a little colder. I am thinking it's plugs and wires. I have almost 200,000 KM's on it now and plugs are original I think. I will let you know if plugs and wires make an improvement.
Oh yes, no Chiuaua's barking in my dash... (LOL)