Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

08 Avalanche Speaker Issues

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2012, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Avalanche Speaker Issues

08 Avalanche LT without Bose system. Rear speakers started going out periodically about 6 months ago. Thought it had to do with the fact that the rear speakers shut off whenever the headphones are plugged into the rear stereo. Eventually they quit working completely ( sounded fine when they did work ). A few weeks later my driver side speaker stopped working periodically ( no chimes, no stereo sound, no seatbelt warning sound) again, sounded fine when it did work. A few weeks later passenger side speaker working periodically, again, sounds fine when it does work. If I get in the truck and put my key in the ignition and hear the door chime, I know I've got some stereo for a few minutes but that's it and it doesn't happen very often. Also tried to turn the rear stereo on for my daughter the other day and it wouldn't come on, just nothing, no power at all. The next day it came on fine. Also, when the rear stereo does work you can only get music through one channel on the headphones. On another forum I noticed a lot of people saying that it is an amp issue, on here I'm seeing that a lot of people are saying that it's blown speakers, I can't seem to place mine in either, I don't or shouldn't have the external amp ( don't have the Bose) and the speakers sound fine when they take a notion to actually work, never known a blown speaker to work periodically and sound fine when it did. My $40,000 vehicle now has two functional tweeters WOOOHOOO!

I've read through this post and others trying to find a solution or at least a direction to take for solving my problem. I'm not usually one to post things or join forums but I think everyone with this issue needs to step up. Just wondering myself how Chevy determines what is recall worthy and what's not. Chevy rep, I hope you read this but please don't advise me to take it to the dealer, I am going to take it in for another issue and have them check the stereo issue as well but I'm not going to allow them to replace things at random with me footing the bill. If this was an isolated issue or just a few people with this issue I could see Chevy letting it go as a case by case issue but you know better than anyone that it's not, you said yourself that you guys read through about 90 forums, I've checked out two and this issue is all over both of them, I'm sure it's on the rest of them as well.
<!-- / message -->
Old November 18th, 2012, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem for the front driver speaker, i dont know what to do !?
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default 08 avalanche speakers not working

I have same problem with my avalanche 08. I took it to dealership when it was time for an oil change and asked about the speaker issue I had. The audio and electrical tech actually but just briefly looked into the problem. He told me my speakers were blown and he could put some new speakers in my truck it would cost me parts and labor though. But when my speakers do work they sound great so how can they be blown. When I asked tech about this he explained that my speakers are probably almost blown. I don't trust this guy one bit. Also Ive noticed that when the temperature reaches 65 degrees my other speakers will work but not all of them. I never know which speakers are going to work. Im thinking its a short in the speaker harness or not a good connection where the harness plugs into stereo. I would like some help with this as well without dishing out a couple thousand dollars. Its a very expensive truck and I would like my speakers to work. Bad thing about it is I do research and find that this is a common problem with chevy trucks, not just on the avalanche and the tech says he has never heard of any problems like this. Ugh...
Old April 6th, 2013, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

Same issue just happen to me yesterday. I noticed the left front speaker was out and the door chime was very very fant, coming through the tweeter. Then tonight I got in called onstar as a test and now its all working fine again. The speaker sounds great, not blown or anything. I would guess its a electrical issue. Since I have a warranty I may take it in to get checked.
Old April 14th, 2014, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 avelanche speakers

my speakers except for the tweeters also have gone out! Plus the back up sonic noise is barely audible, and the cruise control is out ---
this could be another GM safety issue that they are ignoring!
Old April 17th, 2014, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default speakers

I agree that it is a safety issue avatarmax. They really pushed On-star as a safety feature when I bought my avalanche. But since you really need the speakers to be able to hear people on a phone conversation or speak to an On-star rep, or in case of an emergency, I don't believe this to be a safety feature anymore. I have tried to send a complaint to dealership and GM to get a recall done on it, but you can only do it online. There are no options in the form for speakers, stereo or onstar. I did talk to a guy that used to work in an stereo installation store. He said if its a bose system, the amp goes bad and the amp needs to be replaced. It is located under the center console. If the system is not a bose system then the amp is manufactured in the stereo itself and the stereo needs to be replaced. My system is not a bose system. I have contemplated about purchasing a new factory stereo as to keep everything original in the truck. But who is to say how long this stereo will last. And if I purchase a non factory stereo will it still allow onstar and phone to work? Maybe I can find a stereo on ebay or something. But I definitely want to be careful doing that as well. When I decide to pony up the money for a new stereo whether original or not, I will repost and update whether it worked or not.
Old February 20th, 2016, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

I Have a 2004 Avalanche 1500 installed double din unit years ago, the left side speakers started going in and out, now they stay out, only passenger side rear works with the passenger side front going in and out, can barely hear the left side speakers but the sound is there, I checked the harness connections several times and they are good, do the speakers eventually go bad, should I take it to a shop? before replacing speakers?

Thanks
Pete
Old February 25th, 2016, 10:16 PM
CF Junior Member

I had intermittent speaker problems in my 2008 Avalanche so I replaced all four speakers with Kenwoods and have never had a problem since. AND the sound is great. I posted this on a thread last spring.